1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus

On-the-road victory puts Beavers on top of IIAC conference standings

Kelsey Ackerman | Sports Co-Editor

The Buena Vista University (BVU) football team got their first on-the-road Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) victory with a 48-29 win over the Duhawks of Loras on Saturday, October 11.

It was a big day offensively for the Beavers as senior quarterback Bobby Brown broke three school records. His 30-47 completions for 432 yards matched Eric Wiebers’ (2002) completions while his total yards surpassed Wiebers’ previous record by one yard. Lastly, Brown’s five touchdown passes during this game marked the 49th in his career, which matches Eric’s father, Rollie Wiebers’ record.

“It’s pretty cool breaking a record, but my offensive line played a huge part in it. I didn’t get sacked, and they gave me a lot of time to throw to my receivers who, once again, had a great game,” Brown said.

The score at halftime was 28-13 with touchdown throws from Brown to senior Gunner Gilland, junior Ben Seitz, senior Adam Cave, and again to Gilland.

In the second half, senior running back Dylan Barrett made it a 38-16 score with a 37-yard touchdown run midway. Gilland and Brown then hooked up one last time to reach the final score of 48-29.

The remaining 12 points unaccounted for came from sophomore kicker Tyler Stolen.

Defensively, junior Connor Downs led the team with six tackles, and sophomore Justin Kahl followed with five.

“Our focus was on getting a road win in the IIAC. We still can play better in all three phases. We wanted to be balanced on offense, and I think overall we accomplished that. We had a great day running and throwing the ball,” Head Coach Jay Anderson said.

The Beavers had a big week leading up to this game, with seniors Gunner Gilland and Ryan Anderson named to the D3 Football Team of the Week. Gilland was also named IIAC co-male athlete of the week, while Anderson was named IIAC defensive player of the week.

Ryan_Anderson_Web

This win gives the Beavers their first 2-0 (3-2 overall) start to conference play since 2008. It also puts them tied for the top spot in the IIAC standing with Wartburg. The Beavers will take on Luther next Saturday, Oct. 18th inside J. Leslie Rollins Stadium for a 1:00 p.m. game. This game will also be the Beaver Youth Day where all kids up to 8th grade will be admitted free with a paid adult.
Photo by Taylor Staab