Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
When I arrived, to my surprise, a Piper Archer II had just landed and way taxiing back to the hangers.
Sunday's pit stop: A gallery by Joshua Tigges
March 2, 2024
A shot at partnership: BVU and Mercy College launch 3 + 1 nursing program
March 1, 2024
Hot Dish literary magazine submissions open
February 23, 2024
Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
March 2, 2024
March 1, 2024
February 23, 2024

Track runners eager to start 2014-15 season

Shelby Bradley | Sports Co-Editor

Track season is officially underway as of Monday, Nov. 3. A lot is expected from the men and women’s teams as they have a lot of great returning runners and incoming freshmen that will contribute greatly to the teams’ success this season. The team is under a new coaching staff as Ryan Schroeder, graduate of Coe College, takes over the head coaching position for the Beavers.

“Everyone was worried about bringing on such young staff, but I honestly see it as fresh new coaching methods that can be used to help us in any way that we need it,” senior sprinter Maggie Marker said.

Marker was a national qualifier in her previous year running in the 4×100 meter relay finishing 12th overall. Marker is excited for this season to kick off as they have all four runners who qualified in the 4×100 meter relay event back again this year. Those runners include seniors Casey James, Katie Larsen, and Laura Eberly.

“I feel that this year is going to be a great and eventful year for us, and I can say this for all of us senior girls in particular because we came to Buena Vista our freshman year and have been on the track pushing one another from day one,” Marker said. “I can only hope that we will be able to bring more than just one relay to nationals this year and give all the girls an opportunity to see and experience that awesome moment to be one of the top track athletes in the entire nation.”

Marker has individual goals of improving her times from last season, which is a goal she sets for herself every year. Marker would also like to take everything that the new coaching staff is going to teach her and run with it. Along with those personal goals, she would also like to see her team finish higher in the conference meet this year in both indoor and outdoor after finishing 7th in the indoor meet and 6th in the outdoor meet.

As for the men’s side of things, the track team goals and expectations are very similar. Senior long distance runner Seth Woodson also had a very good year last season. Woodson has an individual goal of making it back to nationals in the 800 and to compete with some of the best runners in the nation. He also wishes to bring the conference title in the 800 back to a BVU runner.

“I have plans to change some of the records that have been set in the past in both indoor and outdoor,” Woodson said.

Woodson would like to achieve these goals by putting in more time outside of practice, whether it is running, lifting, or core training. While doing all of this, Woodson hopes to have his teammates right there with him so they all can improve.

“With it being my senior year, I do not want to look back and say I didn’t give it everything I had,” Woodson said.

Woodson also hopes they can turn their undersized team into something special and make an impact in the lower half of the conference. The men’s team finished 5th at the indoor conference meet and 6th in the outdoor meet last season.

“I feel that coach Schroeder will have these same goals set for myself and the team knowing that we do not have the numbers to really compete with the top teams in the conference,” Woodson said.

Overall great things can be expected from both teams this season. Although practice has started, the first indoor meets do not take place until the end of January.