Historic season leaves Buena Vista volleyball just short of IIAC title

Kelsey Ackerman | Sports Co-Editor

The Buena Vista University (BVU) volleyball team ended their season just shy of a first ever Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) championship. The Beavers fell 0-3 to the Kohawks of Coe College Saturday, Nov. 8th.

This season was still nothing short of historic for the young Beaver volleyball team. The team finished 2nd in the IIAC for the first time ever. They also ended their season 25-11, which puts them at back-to-back winning seasons for the first time since the 1985-1986 seasons.

“I know that’s a huge jump from where this program has ever been, but the team showed the passion and ability to raise the bar higher and higher. My expectations were met and even more,” IIAC Coach of the Year and BVU volleyball head coach Lori Slight said.

The young Beaver team, with only one upperclassman, wrote their names all over the record book this season.

Senior libero Jordan Henningsen broke the record for single-season digs that was previously set in 2007 by Betsy Behrens (659). She also received honorable mention All-Conference. Aside from conference honors, Henningsen wasalso named Capital One Academic All-District Second Team.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better season to go out on. We fought hard as an inexperienced team and came up just short of an IIAC championship. Of course I’m going to miss the competitiveness of the sport, but I think most of all I think I’m going to miss playing the game I love with some of my best friends,” Henningsen said.

Another All-Conference honoree was freshman middle, Emily Mathews. She finished with 84 kills and 20 blocks in her seven IIAC outings. She was ranked third in hitting percentage with a .351. Mathews earned First-Team All-Conference.

Adding to the list of honors, BVU earned the Freshman of the Year selection for the second year in a row with outside hitter Jade Schaap. She led the conference with 118 kills in the seven conference matches. She also broke the record for single-season kills in a season by a freshman; breaking sophomore Maddie Bardole’s record set least year of 416.

This brings up the last honoree, First Team All-Conference selection Maddie Bardole. This is her second season in a row being named to First Team All-Conference. Bardole was second in the conference with 115 kills in the seven IIAC games.

Bardole and Schaap are the first duo to get 500 kills in a single season.

“I feel like this season exceeded my expectations tremendously. Everyone underestimated us. At first, our team goal was just to have a winning record, but as our team played more and more games together that goal quickly broadened,” Bardole said.

The three All-IIAC selections are the most ever in program history.

“In the off season, I want these girls to work hard and be dedicated. Also working smarter and truly enjoying each other as a team and teammates and getting stronger and faster together. I really want the team to bond even more and take where we ended and keep pushing forward. Don’t take any steps backwards,” Slight said.

Photo by Krystal Schulte