Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024

Beyond the playing field: Dominic Worrell

Shelby Bradley | Sports Co-Editor

Dominic Worrell has taken on the position as Head Athletic Trainer for Buena Vista University’s (BVU) Athletic Training staff. Worrell is originally from Illinois and has some great experience in the Athletic Training department. He was on staff at Ferrum College in Ferrum, Virginia for four years and also worked as a graduate assistant athletic trainer at Michigan State University. Worrell found the head training position through the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA) website, where a majority of available jobs are posted.

Athletic trainer’s jobs range from being trainers in high schools and colleges to working in physician’s offices and with the military. They handle things from education and injury prevention to emergency and life-saving situations to the diagnosis of injuries and rehabilitation.

“At BVU we are very fortunate to have a very well-rounded and high quality staff. Participating in intercollegiate athletics is very demanding. Our role is to keep our athletes safe while competing and help return them to full health, or even better, if the need arises,” Worrell said.

Worrell gave some advice to athletes in order to keep themselves in mint condition.

“One of the biggest things that someone can do to perform well and stay healthy is to have a focus on an overall and balanced wellness. Many people will focus too much on one area while neglecting others,” Worrell said.

Athletic trainers’ and athletes’ relationships are essential when dealing with their well-being. Worrell stated that developing good relationships with the student-athletes helps them [athletic trainers] identify and address problems better than they could with strangers.

“Having mutual trust and respect with our athletes is essential for providing high-level care. If patients trust that their medical provider has their best interests in mind, they are much more likely to buy in and follow through with treatment plans,” Worrell said.

Junior football player Tyler Morrissey worked with Worrell during the football season after he tore his Achilles tendon the first day of practice. Morrissey went through rehabilitation and recovery with Worrell as his trainer.

“He has a genuine interest in athletes’ well-being and getting you back to where you were, if not better than before an injury. He was a ton of help to me and really understanding what my injury was, what it meant, and where we were going to go from there as far as rehabbing it,” Morrissey said.