Keep active during February with the Iron Beaver challenge

Emily Leighton | Staff Writer

Buena Vista University (BVU) has a unique opportunity for students, faculty, and staff to participate in a challenge involving swimming, biking, and running in which a triathlon is replicated over a month-long period. The Iron Beaver Challenge is a great way for everyone to start a workout routine, get motivated, and beat the winter blues.

For the past several years, HiPSO (Human Performance Student Organization) has held the Iron Beaver Challenge in the month of February, leading up to the Iron Beaver Triathlon in March. The Iron Beaver Challenge is just like an Iron Man race, but the entire month is available to complete it, rather than a single day. An Iron Man Competition consists of 112 miles on a bike, 26.2 miles running, and a 2.4 mile swim.

Katie Turnquist, president of HiPSO is in charge of the challenge this year.

“We try to promote healthy lifestyles and being active on campus by providing monthly activities, and this challenge is our February activity. It’s not only a great way to get active during the winter, it’s also a fun way to get the competitive, self-motivational aspect of exercising back in action,” Turnquist said.

The Iron Beaver Challenge is open to anyone on campus that is interested in participating.

“There are around 50 participants in the Iron Beaver Challenge this year, from BVU students, to faculty, to staff,” Turnquist said.

Director of Athletics, Christyn Abaray is one participant this year. This is her first time participating, and she is enjoying it so far.

“I’m using the challenge as a springboard to begin working out regularly again after having my second child, so I want to just get back into the routine of working out. It’s already doing that for me, which is great,” Abaray said.

If you finish the challenge within the month, not only do you feel a sense of accomplishment, you also could win a prize.

“The people who complete this challenge are put in a drawing for prizes, and the first three people who are drawn get to choose the prize they want. Last year we had prizes such as Nike shoes, Oakley sunglasses, gift cards, and nutritional food,” Turnquist said.

February is a busy month for everyone. With the start of new classes and coming back from break and January interim, it’s hard to find the extra time to complete the challenge so self-motivation and determination are crucial.

“To make sure I’m doing each part of the challenge, it is about finding about 1-1.5 hours each day. With family obligations and work obligations, I make sure to work out early morning and then on most days find time during the workday. It’s a true commitment and so worth it,” Abaray said.

The Iron Beaver Challenge is a great way to get in shape and even have the opportunity to win a prize for hard work. It is an annual event, so those who didn’t participate this year may have another chance in the future. Stay tuned to announcements from HiPSO for the next month’s challenge.