Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024

Men’s basketball secures 9th Iowa Conference championship under Van Haaften

Tanner Hoops | Staff Writer

The Buena Vista University’s (BVU) men’s basketball team capped off the regular season by securing their ninth Iowa Conference championship under Head Coach Brian Van Haaften. The Beavers secured the top spot Wednesday night with a 94-80 road victory at Dubuque.

The Beaver attack was fueled by stellar performances from junior guard Nick Clark and sophomore big man Kennedy Drey, each finishing the game with 26 points, while Cole Darrow was right behind them with 23 points. Drey also netted a game-high 11 rebounds along with another weekly honor of being named to the D3hoops.com Team of the Week.

Andre Norris had the hot hand for Dubuque as he poured in 32 points to lead four Spartans in double-figures. In the game, the Beavers shot 51% from the field, 46% from behind the 3-point arc, and shot at a 78% clip from the free throw line.

“I am so proud of our guys. They put together a performance that is virtually unmatched in my 19 years. We were up against it. Playing on the road, against a very good Dubuque team, a big crowd, and knowing you have to win one of the road games this week against two really good teams, makes this a tough game. But the guys were terrific. We shot it, passed it, defended it, and executed,” Van Haaften said.

With the conference regular season title and the number one seed in the Iowa conference tournament locked up, the Beavers dropped the regular season finale at Coe by a score of 69-67. The Beavers led by nine points at halftime and led by as much as fifteen in the game but a furious Kohawk rally made it a two point game with 15 minutes to play in the second half.

After Darrow hit a free throw to tie the game up at 67 with 10 seconds left, JT Vonderhaar for Coe was able to knock down a mid range jumper with 3 seconds left, which proved to be the eventual game winner. Drey stole the show again for the Beavers, recording a double-double with 21 points and 13 rebounds. Darrow scored 14 points, and Grady Gallagher had eight off the bench. Star post player Vonderhaar led the way for Coe with 18 points while reserve forward Max Schmarzo came up big with 16 points. The Beavers shot 40% from the field, 30% from 3-point territory, and 78% at the free throw line, while out-rebounding the Kohawks 46-38.

“You win some, you lose some,” senior forward, Tyler Kastantin said.

The Beavers have earned a first round bye in the Iowa Conference tournament as well as home court advantage having earned the number one seed and will host the winner of Central and Wartburg on Thursday, Feb. 26 at 7 p.m. in the Iowa Conference semifinals. The winner of Thursday’s game advances to the Iowa Conference championship game on Saturday, Feb. 28.

Photo by Krystal Schulte