Students react to SAB hosting comedian Nicole Byer

Stephanie Steiner | Arts & Life Co-Editor

On Saturday, February 28, Student Activities Board (SAB) at Buena Vista University (BVU) brought MTV’s “Girl Code” comedian Nicole Byer – who has been one of SAB’s biggest events so far.

The line outside of Anderson Auditorium stretched far into the forum 45 minutes before the event, showing campus’ anticipation for a name of this magnitude. After the event, however, there seemed to be mixed reviews.

Sophomore Dani Coyne loved the event. She even got a selfie with Nicole Byer.

“My favorite part, besides laughing so hard that my stomach hurt, was probably the meet and greet afterwards. Luckily, since I am on SAB, we had our own personal meet and greet back stage and I actually got a selfie with her! It was awesome,” Coyne said.

Having the additional meet and greets for students were a very appealing aspect of securing Nicole Byer for an event. Coyne also understands how the event appealed to a large number of people.

“I think this was a great event to bring to campus. It was bigger than anything we’ve had before and I think it got students really excited to have someone that they actually knew and recognized,” Coyne said, “Comedians are always a fun event that can please a large amount of people. I think most people that went enjoyed it, even though it was a little graphic and very sexual at times.”

Junior Chase Werden was not so welcoming of the sexual jokes and believes that Nicole Byer’s type of humor is much different than Western Iowa culture.

“I thought it was incredibly raunchy and rude,” Werden said, “I think it’s great that SAB is trying to bring bigger acts to campus, I really do appreciate that. However, I think the choice of SAB paying in upwards of $6,000 for her is ridiculous. The price isn’t the problem— the problem is the value.”

One thing to keep in mind with campus events, especially big ones such as this, is that not everyone will have the same reactions or opinions about it. SAB seeks to provide BVU students with events they will enjoy and get excited for, so they always welcome and encourage any feedback, ideas, and suggestions that students have to offer. You may contact the organization at [email protected] for further conversation or take SAB’s survey about the event.