Beaver baseball brings home two more wins

Tanner Hoops | Staff Writer

The Buena Vista University (BVU) baseball team won two out of three games this past weekend to earn a series victory against Nebraska Wesleyan. Saturday featured a doubleheader, with the third game on Sunday.

In Game 1, the Beavers were defeated 4-3. The game was scoreless until the top of the 4th inning when Tanner Truesdell singled home Brandon Wessels. Truesdell then came around to score later that inning on a passed ball. The Prairie Wolves’ offense got going in the bottom of the 5th. With two runners on base, Mark Korsakas tied the game via a two-out single to right center field. Later that inning, Matt Orozco singled and scored Korsakas’ pinch runner Ben Oliver, prompting a pitching change for Buena Vista. The Beavers answered in the top of the 6th as Bennett Mann doubled home Truesdell to tie the game at three runs apiece. The game remained knotted until the bottom of the 7th when Dalton Hegeholz scored on a passed ball, giving the Prairie Wolves a walk-off win to open the series.

Tanner Truesdell led the Beaver offense, going 2-3 with an RBI and two runs scored. Starting pitcher Kendall Hazel gave up three runs, all earned, while scattering four hits over 4 2/3 innings. Hazel struck out seven and walked three. Cam Beatty took the loss on the mound for BVU, giving up one unearned run in 1 1/3 inning, allowing one hit, striking out one and walking one.

Buena Vista rebounded for a 3-1 win in the nightcap. In the top of the 3rd inning, Noah Paper walked then advanced to second base on a wild pitch. Another walk and a hit batsman loaded the bases for Truesdell, who walked in the first run of the game. The next batter, Bryce Wessels, hit a sacrifice fly to right field to score lead off hitter Neil Marshall, giving the Beavers a 2-0 lead. Marshall came around to score again in the top of the 7th inning on an RBI single from Truesdell. Nebraska Wesleyan made a late push in the bottom of the 9th, pushing one run across via a bases loaded walk, but closing pitcher Lucas Hadaway closed the door on the Prairie Wolves, evening the weekend series at one game apiece.

Winning pitcher Justin Lange threw a gem on the mound, allowing just two hits and no runs over eight innings, while striking out eleven. Lange’s record improves to 2-0 on the season, and he was also named to the D3baseball.com team of the week.

“Rough day at the ball park today, but we got the split,” Buena Vista coach Steve Eddie said. “[We] need to be better tomorrow.”

And better they were, as the Beavers pounded the Prairie Wolves for 15 runs in the rubber match on Sunday for a decisive 15-3 victory.

Bryce Wessels got the Beaver offense going early with a two-run infield single in the 1st inning. The Beavers extended their lead to 4-1 after six innings of play. The Beavers outscored the Prairie Wolves 11-1 over the final three innings to secure the series victory. Truesdell led the offensive attack going 4-4 with two RBIs and two runs scored, while Marshall and Devin Wagenman each went 3-5. Bryce Wessels crushed the Beavers’ first home run of the season, a two-run shot over the left field fence. Marshall also scored three times and drove in three runs in the game.

Winning pitcher Jake Bjorkgren allowed one run through four innings, scattering three hits, while striking out three and walking one.

“Love it at BV; we have a great team!” junior outfielder Mann said.

The Beavers travel to Wheaton, Ill. this weekend where they will take on Aurora, St. Mary’s (Minnesota) and the host Wheaton College.

Photo courtesy of BVU Athletics