Spring and Easter Break scoreboard updates

Shelby Bradley & Kelsey Ackerman | Sports Co-Editors

Baseball

The Beavers took the road to Wheaton, Ill. for a three game sweep over their opponents. The scores were 4-3 over Saint Mary’s (Minn.), 12-6 over Aurora, and an extra inning thriller 8-7 over Wheaton.Following the tournament, senior first baseman, Eric Gurbacki was named IIAC Male Athlete of the Week.

The Beaver’s ended spring break opening their conference play against Dubuque. The Beavers won the first game 7-4, lost the second game 4-8, then won the remaining two 9-3 and 4-1.

On Tuesday, March 31, the Beavers continued conference play with a double-header at Coe College. The Beavers split with the Kohawks with a 0-4 loss and an 8-6 win.

Coming into Easter weekend, the Beavers hosted their first home conference four-game series against tenth-ranked Wartburg College. On Friday, the Beavers fell to the Knights 3-8 and 6-14. On Saturday, the Beavers came from behind to split the series with a 5-4 and a 10-9 win.

14th-ranked Buena Vista now sits at 16-5 (6-4 IIAC). The Beavers will return to conference action this weekend, April 10 and 11 against Central College. Game time on Friday is set for 1:00 pm.

Softball

The Beavers started spring break with the Mizuno Invitational in St. Louis, Mo. They won their first game against Washington 9-6 in 12 innings. They then lost the last three games of the invitational in a double header against Augustana (Ill.) and against Ill. Wesleyan.

The Beavers then headed to Clermont, Fla. for a 3-3 split on the trip. The Beavers were victorious over Carthrage 2-1, Oberlin 13-7, and Colby 8-2. The Beavers fell to Elmhurst 4-8, Wis.-Whitewater 1-6, and Chicago 6-8.

Buena Vista opened conference play on Tuesday, Mar. 31 against Coe College. The Beaver’s split with the Kohawks with a 4-7 loss and a 9-6 win.

Continuing conference play into Easter weekend, the Beavers hosted tenth-ranked Simpson College for a double header. The Beavers split again, with a 4-10 loss, and a 5-0 win.

Following the wins, freshman pitcher Moriah Guyett was named IIAC Female Athlete of the Week.

Buena Vista’s record comes to 11-12 (2-2 IIAC). The Beavers will return to conference action with a double header Friday, April 10 against Loras College and Saturday, April 11 against Dubuque.

Men’s Golf

BVU men’s golf team took part in a three-team competition on Thursday, March 26 at the Moon Valley Country Club in Phoenix, Arizona. Freshman, Hunter Bruhn, led the Beavers shooting a 73 and took fourth place overall. Junior, John Bral followed for the Beavers shooting 80 and placing 14th overall.

The Beavers took nine total golfers to compete against 27 other players from Nebraska Wesleyan and Arizona Christian (ACU). ACU took the title with a score of 291 while the Beavers took third with a score of 313.

The men’s golf team will have their next round this weekend, April 10 and 11, at the Morningside College Invite.

Men’s Tennis

BVU men’s tennis team had a thrilling yet bitter three-match spring break trip to Hilton Head, South Carolina. The Beavers secured a 7-2 win over North Central on Monday, March 23, after losing to them the previous year. The Beavers had wins at the No.1 and No.3 doubles spots, and then also at the No.1 and No.4 singles matches. Senior, Kyle Weeden and freshman, Grant Wright were also amongst these earnings with two tiebreaking wins.

The team then took on UW-Eau Claire and Carleton College on Tuesday, March 24. The Beavers were not so fortunate in these two matches losing 9-0 to both opponents.

Buena Vista hosted their first match of the spring on March 31 against Morningside College. The Beavers suffered a 2-7 loss.

Coming into Easter weekend, the Beavers continued conference play hosting Central College. The Beaver’s fell 1-8.

Buena Vista comes to 2-11 (0-2 IIAC). The Beavers look to bounce back this Sunday, April 12 with a conference match against Wartburg College set for 10:00 am.

Wrestling

Freshman, Nashid Barrow was voted by the IIAC coaches as this year’s IIAC Freshman Wrestler of the Year. Barrow finished the season at 25-9 and a second place finish at the NCAA Central Regional Championship. He also came within one win of All-American honors.

Photo by Krystal Schulte