Men’s Golf takes second-place finish at BVU Invite

Emily Leighton | Staff Writer

On April 17th and 18th, the Buena Vista University men’s golf team took the course at Lake Creek Country Club in Storm Lake. The Beavers ended with a second-place finish with a score of 312.

The men and women’s Head Golf Coach Mitch Brunick is in his third season with the Beaver team. He knows these players are prepared to take on anything and are willing to learn and improve with every meet.

“The changes we have made as a team have been incredible. Each player has made huge strides to better their overall game. It has been a long battle to dial in the ideas we have been working on, but their hard work will show that perseverance will prevail. It has been a great journey with each of these players this year, and I couldn’t be more proud of what they have accomplished,” Brunick said.

Junior John Bral has had tremendous improvement over the years, and thanks to the perseverance he has shown, he walked away with a first place finish at the BVU invite.

“It feels great to win at home. It has been a goal of mine to win a tournament and to achieve that goal at our home invite makes it even that much more rewarding,” Bral said.

Brunick is extremely proud of what this team had to bring this past weekend and can’t wait to continue on.

“I can’t put this into words. Even though the weather was less than enjoyable, they kept their heads down and turned in amazing scores. Having this accomplishment the week before the conference tournaments gives us great confidence. I cannot wait to see what the guys bring to the course next week,” Brunick said.

Bral, being an upperclassman, knows that the first and second year athletes look up to him and the other third and fourth years.

“I think it is important for upperclassman to set the example for first and even second year athletes. They are going to learn and act as the upperclassman do, and I believe it is important to set good examples of how hard work, practice, and discipline are the only way they are going to improve and succeed as collegiate athletes,” Bral said.

With the conference tournament coming up shortly, Brunick knows he needs to keep this team motivated to move forward.

“One of the reasons I enjoy working with this group is the fact that they don’t need my motivation. Their determination to post low rounds and improve every tournament is motivation in itself. It’s amazing to see how they all rely on each other for encouragement and advice,” Brunick said. “I have not seen a harder working group of young men who have constantly pushed each other and themselves to become more than what they were. I’ve always known the talent was there and was waiting for that opportune moment to show itself.”

Brunick also appreciates the support the Beaver golf team has received over the course of the season.

“Seeing and hearing the encouragement from students, staff, family, and the Storm Lake community is amazing. Knowing my guys have this encouraging following at home gives them a confidence boost we haven’t had in a while. I can’t say this enough. I cannot wait to see what the guys do in our upcoming conference tournament,” Brunick said.

The Men’s Golf IIAC Championship round 1 will be taking place on Friday, Apr. 24 in Iowa City.

Photo courtesy of Courtney Van Haaften