Coaches and players look to improve during spring season

Shelby Bradley | Sports Co-Editor

Men and women’s soccer, football, and volleyball are all officially underway with their spring season practices. Spring season is not only a time for players to work on their individual talents and skills, but also a time for coaches to advance all of their players as a team.

The Buena Vista University (BVU) volleyball team had tremendous success this past fall season with a 25-11 overall record. This was just one win shy of breaking the school record set back in 1985. With that winning record under their belt, they are ready to get back in action.

“This spring we are really focusing on playing the game as an entire team. I want our team to continue to grow and challenge each other to become better and more team focused as an all-around volleyball player,” volleyball Head Coach Lori Slight said.

The BVU football team also had stellar performances this past fall season with several different players breaking school records. Many of those players were seniors and have completed their years playing at BVU, but there are many predecessors ready to take their place.

“For spring, it’s a great opportunity for our players to get back in the flow of our schemes. It’s been six months, so it’s nice especially for our first year players,” football Head Coach Jay Anderson said.

The BVU men’s soccer team did not have their ideal season, but the players are definitely ready to see how they can improve themselves this spring season in hopes of better results this coming fall.

“I use spring season to see where I am at, what I have improved on over the winter, and what I still need to focus on for the summer moving forward, in ultimately preparing for the upcoming fall season,” sophomore midfielder Tyler Smaha said.

BVU women’s soccer team had a similar story to men’s soccer this past fall season. Although their overall record wasn’t up to par with their expectations, there were still several individual accolades given to standout players.

“One of the biggest changes we’ll need to make as a unit is our overall fitness. We have a great group of women with solid chemistry on and off the pitch, but we need to take it to the next level,” women’s soccer Head Coach Sheena Van Roekel said.

With these fall teams working hard during their off-season workouts and spring season practices, it will be exciting to see them get back into competition this coming August.

Graphic by Krystal Schulte

View Comments (1)