Scoreboard Update: 4-22

Shelby Bradley | Sports Co-Editor

Men’s Golf

The Buena Vista University (BVU) men’s golf team hosted the annual BVU Invite this past Friday and Saturday, Apr. 17-18. The men had a strong showing throughout the invite and finished second overall behind Nebraska Wesleyan.

Along with this team second place finish, junior John Bral took the overall winnings of the meet. Freshman Hunter Bruhn and senior Brady Haye tied for 12th with senior Luke Anderson close behind in 18th.

The team will now prepare for the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) Championships, which take place this Friday, Apr. 24 at Finkbine in Iowa City.

To see more on men’s golf, please visit this link.

Women’s Golf

This past Saturday and Sunday, Apr. 18-19, the BVU women’s golf team wrapped up their season as they traveled to the Wartburg invite in Waverly, Iowa. BVU finished fourth overall with senior Jasey Zander leading the Beavers with an overall score of 178. Sophomore Elizabeth Kim was close to follow with a score of 189.

Wartburg College took home the title led by Morgan McMillan with a score of 154.

Men’s Tennis

BVU men’s tennis team hit the road on Saturday, Apr. 18 to take on conference opponents Loras College and the University of Dubuque. The Beavers secured a pair of wins over both opponents with identical 5-4 scores.

There were several wins across the board in singles and doubles positions. BVU advances to 4-13 overall and 2-4 in the IIAC making them fifth in the standings. If the Beavers get a win over the Simpson Storm this coming Sunday, Apr. 26, it will secure their spot in the IIAC Team Tournament.

Baseball

BVU hosted the four-game weekend series against the Simpson Storm this past Friday and Saturday, Apr. 17-18, coming out with split wins.

On Friday, the Beavers dropped game one to the storm 3-1 but rallied back in game two for a 5-4 win. Then Saturday they got the win in game one 5-2 but dropped the second 18-5. This series put the Beavers at 19-10 overall and 9-9 in the IIAC.

They continued play Tuesday Apr. 21 against conference match up Coe College. The Beavers split this double header losing the first game 4-1, and winning the second 2-1. They are now 20-11 overall and 10-10 in the IIAC.

Softball

BVU softball hit the field Monday, Apr. 20, in a doubleheader against conference match up Warburg College. The Beavers had to wait a couple days as the game was postponed from Saturday, Apr.18 due to rain.

The Beavers had a clean sweep as they won both games with scores of 14-6 and 9-3 respectively. Beavers got down early in the first game but that was all they would allow as their hitting carried them through to the end. Multiple players recorded RBIs as well as a few doubles.

BVU is now 15-14-1 overall and 6-4 in the IIAC taking third in the conference. The team continued play Tuesday, Apr. 21 against fourth-ranked Luther College for another doubleheader. The Beavers dropped both games to the Norse 5-3 and 11-2 respectively. This now put them at 15-16-1 overall and 6-6 in the conference.

Graphic by Krystal Schulte