Why Curry is the NBA MVP

Grady Gallagher | Blogger

Hello my friends. It’s been too long. I apologize for the wait. I honestly do feel bad that it’s been so long. As the days wind down for a senior’s time at BVU, (Pause) (Leans back in chair) (Geez) the time we’ve put in the last four years deserve a strong finish. So that’s what we’ll do.

This is not an article rehashing fond memories of BVU, or a countdown of the best plays from BVU athletics from the year. Those are still to come, no worries. But today, I want to focus on the NBA and, more specifically, the NBA MVP.

(Well I already know who Grady’s pick is. Might as well shut her down.)

First of all, hear me out. Second, don’t call your computer, “her.” This article is not intended to reveal how big of a Stephen Curry fan I am or to make an irrelevant, biased opinion explaining why my favorite player deserves the MVP trophy this season. I’ve said enough to accomplish those things.

I’ve been called a “bandwagon fan” multiple times in my life. Honestly, if your favorite teams were the Chiefs, Bulls, Cubs, Hawks, and Cyclones you’d look elsewhere too. C’mon. But if I’ve owned a player’s college jersey as a junior in high school and consistently follow him through injury, struggle, and success to the present? Maybe. My question is if it’s possible to watch Steph Curry in a game and not become a fan immediately?

For those that love good shooting, passing, and ball handling? Stephen Curry. You like quick hands on D and a guard that is almost always in the right place at the right time? Stephen Curry. Not amazingly athletic, big, or strong? Cough, cough, Stephen Curry. NBA players don’t care or try during the regular season. Can I get some emotion? Stephen Curry. For the heat checks that no one else can reach which provides entertainment to the highest level and force me to literally laugh out loud because it’s so absurd? Steph Curry.

The Warriors supporting cast around Steph is no slouch. I mean, what other team has two bench players with multiple all-star game appearances like Iggy and David Lee? None, but Curry’s impact cannot be overstated. The amount of pressure that he puts on defenses has to be greater than any other player EVER. I wish I could see an NBA scouting report. I’m guessing Curry’s reads something like this:

#30 – Steph Curry – 6’3 G 23 ppg 48%FG 44% 3’s 91% FTs
• SHOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!***********
• Can shoot, dribble, pass, finish, cut off screens, and shoot really well.
• DO NOT LEAVE HIM!
• Most of his shots don’t even hit the rim. So, yeah.
• Can go either way really well, pass and finish with both hands and will likely make the SC Top 10.
• If you leave him alone, he WILL hit a 3.
• Even if you’re on him, he will most likely still hit a 3.
• Have to know where he is on both ends at all times. And if you don’t recognize him, he looks like a kid you probably beat up in high school.
• Did I mention, he’s a good shooter.
• If he’s hot, we’re not.
• Be physical with him on screens, but don’t help too much because he’s a good passer too.
• Don’t sag off on screens, because he’ll hit a 3.
• We would try face guarding him full court, but Raymond Felton is our point guard.
• Head coach is open for all suggestions.

Let’s look at it this way: Have you ever played 4 on 4 full court? Way more space than 5v5 right? It seems like driving lanes are bigger, defenders must cover more ground helping, and scoring is made easier. So what’s my point? When Curry is on the floor, he gathers so much attention and his guy cannot leave him which makes it seem like the Warriors are playing 4v4 on the offensive end. In addition, even though Curry is the most tightly guarded player in the league, he still put up 23 and 7 in limited minutes. Stephen Curry is the NBA MVP.

Stephen Curry has done everything he’s supposed to do this year. Improve his defense, make 3’s, and be efficient offensively. Check. Lead the league’s best roster (probably) to the best record. Check. Provide a move, pass, shot or play that blows up vine and twitter on a nightly basis? Check. Bring Under Armour basketball shoes to the popularity of Nike and Adidas? Check. Serve as a role model for those that believe dreams can be achieved if the hard work is put in. Check, mate.

I remember reading a couple years ago after the 1st round playoff series against the Nuggets, Curry was quoted saying, “I’m not even close to reaching my potential.” I remember thinking, “Can he really get better than this?” after he had just almost single-handly became the most well-liked NBA point guard, recruited Andre Iquodala, and got George Karl fired in the same series. But, just as he’s done his entire career, proved me and the doubters wrong. The most valuable part of Stephen Curry may not be his smooth jumper, great passing, or high IQ. It may be, simply, his ability to work harder than anyone else. That’s what separates him, that’s what makes him so likable, and that’s why he’s the MVP.