Scoreboard Updates: 5/5

Shelby Bradley & Kelsey Ackerman | Sports Co-Editors

Baseball

The Buena Vista University (BVU) baseball team wrapped up their regular season games this past Friday and Saturday, May 1 and 2 with a 3-1 series win over the Norse of Luther College.

The Beavers lost their first game Friday 4-3 but battled back in the second winning 5-4. On Saturday, the Beavers got a clean sweep as they won both games 3-2 and 14-3 respectively.

During the second game, the Beavers’ hitting stole the show as they hit three home runs by three players—sophomore Kolby Hilgenberg and juniors Tanner Truesdell and Neil Marshall. The Beavers also had a pair of triples along with eight extra-base hits. Junior Kendall Hazel sealed the deal coming in as a relief pitcher and threw a perfect inning.

The Beavers will enter the conference tournament as the fourth seed taking on Luther College once again at Coe College beginning at 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 7.

Softball

The BVU softball team finished their season Friday, May 1, at the conference tournament with a loss to fourth seed Coe College 6-2.

Freshman, Jeanne Bramhall put the Beavers on the board with a run in the seventh inning with the second run being scored by sophomore pinch runner Cortney Weaver.

The Beavers will be losing three seniors including outfielders Lesa Turnquist and Jordon Pilcher and infielder Stephanie Hayden.

BVU finished their season under first year head coach Mandie Berneking with an 18-20-1 overall record, going 6-8 in the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC).

Men’s Golf

The men’s golf team finished their season this past weekend at the IIAC championships. The team finished seventh overall after the last round with a score of 321. John Bral, who tied for thirteenth place, was the best finisher for the Beavers.

To read more on the IIAC Golf Championships, read this article.

Men’s Tennis

The Buena Vista men’s tennis team finished the season this past weekend at the Iowa Conference tournament. The Beavers fell quickly to Central College 0-5. The closest match came at number 2 doubles with an 8-9 (4) decision with the win going to the Central.

The Beaver tennis team finishes their season at 4-15 overall and says goodbye to seniors John Bieber, Kyle Shade, and Kyle Weeden.

Track and Field

The women’s team made the most of their last meet before the conference tournament last Friday at the University of Dubuque.

BVU took four of the six places in the 100-meter dash. Casey James came up with the win, with Katie Larsen right behind her in second. Laura Eberly took the 200-meter dash, finishing just ahead of James and Larsen respectively. Mallory Spear was third in the 400-meter dash getting a season best time for her. Martina Smith was runner up in the 800-meter race reaching her fastest outdoor time of the year. She also later went on to win the 1,500-meter race again marking her best outdoor time. They won the 4×100 relay as well as the 4×400 relay. Morganne Haer won the title in the long jump as well as the javelin throw.

On the men’s side, Austin Groth took second in the 110 hurdles and won the 400 hurdles. The 4×400 took third in the race reaching their fastest outdoor time. Nolan Sampson and Cole Darrow captured second place finished in high jump and long jump respectively. Kyle Wessling took third in the javelin throw.

The track and field team will head to Indianola this weekend for the IIAC outdoor championships. The event runs from Thursday, May 7 to Saturday, May 9.