Student managers play key role on athletic teams

Griffin Truslow | Staff Writer

Being the manager on an athletic team isn’t the most glamorous position on the team, but it’s necessary and doesn’t go unnoticed. Jayson Van Haaften is a sophomore at Buena Vista University (BVU) and is the manager and student coach on the men’s basketball team, under head coach, and his father, Brian Van Haaften. Van Haaften has appreciated the role and learning from his father.

“It has been a very good experience. It has really allowed me to understand what all goes into the makings of a truly successful team, while working with my dad on a daily basis during the season is a plus,” Van Haaften said. “My commitment to the team mostly happens during the season with helping run a few drills during practice and doing a lot of clockwork.”

This is Jayson’s second year as the manager of the team and not only has he been able to observe what it takes to coach, but also he’s been able to take away much more than X’s and O’s from this experience.

“I think that I have made great friendships with the guys on the team, and I believe that just being part of any team is a useful tool in building relationships with those around you,” Van Haaften said.

Meredith Collins is a sophomore at BVU and also one of three managers of the volleyball team on campus. Collins was a player on the team before making the transition to manager.

“To make the transition from athlete to manager wasn’t as hard as an athlete might think. The hardest thing really was to realize if it was worth it for me to continue on with competing at a collegiate level and with my history of injuries it just wasn’t. At the same time, though, I didn’t want to not be a part of the game. Coach did a great job also of making that transition easy for me and giving me the opportunity to still be a part of the team I love,” Collins said.

Not only has head volleyball coach Lori Slight been able to help Collins with the transition, but Collins has been able to help Slight just as much.

“Our managers are as much part of our team and or family as any player. They help with everything in practice and on team trips. They help me as a coach with little odds and ends in the office and getting ready for matches and road trips. In practice they help with setting up nets, getting equipment out, scoring points in drills, being targets in drills, and mostly general help around the gym,” Slight said.

It’s clear that managers are viewed as equal members of the team, play a key role on their athletic teams, and are willing to do the little things that make a big difference in the end.

Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons