Beaver volleyball picked to win the IIAC crown

Shelby Bradley | Sports Co-Editor

As the 2015 volleyball season rolls around there is a lot of excitement and expectations for our Buena Vista University (BVU) Beavers. According to the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference’s (IIAC) website the Beavers are tapped to win this years conference crown while Coe follows at second.

With the preseason rankings setting a high bar for the team there are a lot of expectations to follow. The Beavers lost lone senior Jordan Henningsen out of the back row last year but returns six other players who had sufficient court time in the 2014 season, including three players who earned several IIAC accolades and even All-Region accolades. The Beavers also added 13 new faces to this year’s roster.

“I feel that this year is a new year and with that we are training in a new way. We are hitting the weight room, in the pool and spend more and more time playing on the court,” returning sophomore setter Laura Barry said. “Personally I feel we shouldn’t play like we are number one because we are going to play scared.”

The Beavers opened up their season at the Bethel University invitational this past weekend on Sept 4 and 5. The Beavers swept their first match against Nebraska Wesleyan winning all three sets then later in the day fell three straight sets to Bethel University. The following day the Beavers came out firing winning another three straight set match against St. Olaf and fell the following match to Concordia College in a thrilling 5 set match, leaving the Beavers at 2-2 for the weekend.

“Last year we were known for quick defense, middle blockers and big outside bangers. This year we are adding big right side hitters and having all three front row positions being good blockers. “Perfect practice makes perfect,” is what Coach Slight always says,” returning sophomore outside hitter Jade Shcaap said.

Head Coach Lori Slight is in her fourth season at BVU. Her 2014 team made a deep run in the IIAC tournament and she was recognized as the IIAC Coach of the Year that season. Slight is ready to complete some unfinished business as this season comes around.

“In the past we were chasing teams to beat them, now that focus. It [the rankings] makes us have to be more “perfect” in practice and have to get the freshmen up to speed quickly as they will need to add to the current team in order to keep the program moving forward,” Slight said.

The Beavers will kick off their home opener tomorrow night, Tuesday, Sept 8, against Bethany Lutheran beginning at 7:30 pm.