Student athletes volunteer at third annual Unified Sports Day

Kelsey Ackerman | Sports Co-Editor

The third annual Unified Sports Day took place at Buena Vista University (BVU) this past Thursday, Sept. 17.

Unified Sports Day partners with Special Olympic children around the area for a day filled with athletic and craft activities. Many athletes took time out of their day to help out with the event.

Here are a few words from contributing athletes who volunteered during this time:

“I think it is important to host an event like this because not only is it a great thing to do but we have the facilities and the volunteers all packed in one spot. This event allows us as athletes to appreciate out own skills and talents more and to enjoy helping others,” senior football player Ben Seitz said.

“It is important for BVU to host Unified Sports Day because it fulfills a need in our community. There is not a lot of opportunities like this for individuals in northwestern Iowa and this gives them that,” senior soccer player Kelsey O’Connor said.

“It really makes athletes thankful for what we have an that we are able to play the sports that we love everyday. It gives us perspective as well as getting us outside of our comfort zone,” sophomore basketball player Grant Wright said.

“My favorite part about this event is getting to see all the participants get so excited when the realize they can do a certain task on their own,” sophomore track athlete Paige Fast said.

“I think it is great BVU hosts this even because it’s a chance for us to connect with so many different people and it’s a day all these kids remember forever,” junior basketball player Jessica Jager said.

“This event is a great chance for us to take even a short time out of our busy schedule in order to give back to the community is a way that is fun for us and the participants,” junior baseball player Kendall Candor said.

“Unified Sports Day brings all of us athletes together over a common love for sports and we get to share that with the participants. It is just so rewarding when they smile with joy after doing anything,” junior volleyball player Maddie Bardole said.