Beyond the playing field: Jamie Schoenherr

Taylor Staab | Sports Photographer

Jamie Schoenherr has been named the Interim Athletic Training Program Director for the Buena Vista University’s (BVU) Athletic Training Department. Schoenherr assumes the position after the departure of both Dr. Matt Hanson and Dr. James Day over the summer.

Schoenherr is originally from Dows City, Iowa, and graduated from BVU with a bachelor’s degree in athletic training in 2007, and her master’s degree in kinesiology from Western Illinois University in 2009.

Two years ago Schoenherr came back to BVU and now in her new position focuses on the education side of athletic training. She says she can pass on her love to future athletic trainers and medical professionals. The new position also allows her to directly work with the students more and make sure the program maintains CAATE (Commission of Accreditation of Athletic Training Education) accreditation.

Schoenherr is excited for this year. She says they have a great staff that really comes together and supports one another. They also have a great group of students who are willing to learn and go above and beyond on a regular basis.

“I am both excited and nervous about this change. Change is the only constant in our world,” Schoenherr said. “I am excited for the new challenge that I am taking on and I am nervous because I want everything to run smooth and for the students to have a great experience. I think that’s normal for anyone new.”

The new job has not taken Schoenherr away from the sidelines. She continues to help with women’s soccer and men’s wrestling. In the spring, she will help the teams who are not in the traditional seasons along with the tennis teams.

Unafraid that the Athletic Training room atmosphere will change, she jokes that the only difference is that her office is a little messier.

Schoenherr also praised Day, who held the position before her.

“[He] did a great job for the BVU Athletic Training Program. We worked together on a lot of things last year, so I feel comfortable stepping in and steering the educational ship. Athletic training is a collaborative field, and I know that I will have to support my peers.”

BVU students are also excited for for Schoenherr’s new position. Senior ATC major Echo King said that it’s a difficult position for anyone to fill because it’s been juggled around a lot in the recent years, but she has high hopes for Schoenherr.

“She is really well with figuring out how to best accomplish her job, while still making students a priority.” King said.

According to King, Schoenherr is handling her new responsibilities very well because she can do what she can and that she is never afraid to ask for help with new projects to better the program.

Photo y Taylor Staab