Men and women’s soccer fall short of wins

Tanner Hoops | Staff Writer

The Buena Vista University (BVU) soccer teams hosted non-conference rival Morningside at J. Leslie Rollins Stadium Friday night, Sept. 18.

In the women’s match, Morningside handed the Beavers their fourth straight loss by a score of 2-0. The Mustangs kept Beaver goalkeeper Rachel Novotny busy with a flurry of shots on the goal from the opening whistle. After a pair of fouls against Morningside, the Beavers adjusted and were able to make adjustments and put pressure on the Mustangs.

The two teams played each other to a scoreless draw at halftime. Fifteen minutes into the second half, Morningside’s Amy Samuelson found the back of the net to give the visitors a 1-0 lead. With under nine minutes remaining, Samuelson again sent a rocket past the keeper for her second goal of the evening, both unassisted. The Beavers were unable to answer and fell by a final score of 2-0.

6(2)“Defensively we were a lot stronger,” second-year Head Coach Sheena Van Roekel said. “Overall the ending score isn’t what we wanted, but at the end of the day, the progress is what we needed.”

The Beavers returned to action Sunday, Sept. 20, with a home match against Concordia-Moorhead losing 2-0 moving their record to 2-6 overall.

On the men’s side, the Morningside men scored the go-ahead goal in the final two minutes of the game to sink Buena Vista. The Mustangs had momentum on their side early on, taking the lead on a goal by Joao Soares in the first eighteen minutes, before the Beavers had gotten a shot on goal. Buena Vista tightened up defensively and tied the game with ten minutes remaining in the first half, when freshman Jacob Heath found the back of net for the first collegiate goal of his career.

“I thought the guys really battled well especially after going down a goal,” second-year Head Coach Ben McArthur said. “To fight back and get a response before halftime to tie it up was great. We are starting 6 freshman and they are getting better and better each game.”

The two teams held each other scoreless for the rest of the half and for a majority of the second half as well. With under two minutes remaining in the game, Morningside’s Leon Koehl received a feed from Murat Turan and slid it past the keeper to give Morningside a one-goal lead. The Beavers could not muster an answer.

“It was tough to give up a goal that late in the game but I am optimistic we will be able to rebound and continue to get better as the season goes on,” McArthur said.

BVU faced Concordia-Moorhead on Sunday, Sept. 20, resulting in a win with a score of 3-2. The Beaver men now have an overall record of 3-4.

Photos by Taylor Staab