What’s it like? To be gluten intolerant in college

Dee Friesen | Arts + Life Editor

College holds many opportunities for change. Have you ever had to alter your eating habits due to health reasons or simply by choice? You may have come across some difficulties while switching your diet during college. Tiffany Brauckman explained her recent transition to a gluten and dairy free diet while living on campus.2015-10-04 03.56.12 1_20151004160811105 (1)

Brauckman was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance on June 21. Last semester, she noticed bad stomach pains after meals and often was sick as a result. She visited a doctor and they couldn’t figure out exactly what was wrong at first. They decided to put her on a no liquid and bland food diet. Doctors were treating her for issues related to her gal bladder and she continued to eat simple foods. Over the summer, she decided to visit a nutritionist and found out she was gluten intolerant.

On June 22nd, Brauckman made the choice to completely switch her diet in order to not feel pain or sickness after every meal. She stopped eating in the cafeteria, bought a second fridge for her dorm, and stocked up on gluten free foods.

Understandably, the transition was difficult. Brauckman often craved foods she was used to; however the stomach pains and sickness were not worth a satisfied craving.

“I remember the first week I went off gluten I was totally fine. Second week, I just wanted a regular hamburger with a bun,” said Brauckman.

Being a person who loves sandwiches, it was hard to get used to the dry and interesting texture of gluten free bread.

“Gluten is not a natural ingredient. It’s what gives bread it’s consistency,” explained Brauckman.

Brauckman shared that she likes to experiment baking gluten free when she is home. She has made brownies and many other tasty treats. Brauckman’s current favorite gluten free foods are Lucy’s cookies and spaghetti with gluten free noodles.

As a part of a class project, Brauckman has started a blog to talk about the difficulties of living gluten free on a college campus. She doesn’t know anyone else on campus that has a gluten intolerance, but hopes to connect with anyone who might be going through similar life changes. You can visit her blog !