Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024

Injured athletes corner: Andy Eisenbacher

Tanner Hoops | Staff Writer

Soccer has always been a large part of Andy Eisenbacher’s life. Soccer will continue to be something he is passionate about, just in a different capacity.

Andy is a digital media major from Spencer, Iowa, a high school with a tradition rich soccer program coached by the legendary Ben MacRae. Andy spent his first two seasons of collegiate soccer playing at Waldorf College before transferring to Buena Vista University (BVU) in the Fall of 2015. Andy came to BVU with intentions of joining the Beaver soccer program but suffered his fifth-career concussion in the preseason. Given the nature of the recurring injury, Andy was forced to make one of the hardest decisions of his life; ending his playing career.

“The hardest part for me was the adjustment. I have played soccer for the better part of 17 years now, it’s been a year round thing for me since I was in the 6th grade,” says Andy. “The first few days it felt like everything I had work so hard on for so long was taken away from me. I had a lot of support from my teammates and coaches, a lot of support from Katie Frick, the athletic trainer.”

One of the ways Andy’s coaches and teammates supported him was by keeping him on the team as a student assistant coach. Andy can stay close to the game that he loves and apply his knowledge of the game into helping his teammates develop.

“The players respect Andy and Andy treats them with respect and they respond to his coaching,” said Buena Vista Men’s Soccer Head Coach Ben McArthur, “By getting into college coaching now, Andy is setting himself up to be a great coach at any level.”

Andy also volunteers his time as a coach for youth traveling teams in his hometown. On top of that, Andy has also put his digital skills to good use and has become the play-by-play sportscaster for Beaver men’s and women’s soccer.

“He is a student of the game and is constantly learning and growing,” says McArthur of his newest assistant, “we are lucky to have him on the coaching staff.”

Although Andy’s future in soccer will not be as a player, his attitude and willingness to help his teammates continues to inspire the Buena Vista community. Although Andy’s playing career may have come to an end, his influence on his teammates, friends and classmates is growing and becoming more inspirational every day.

Photo by Taylor Staab