Who’s who in Beaver sports: Jasmyn Flynn-Graves

Kelsey Ackerman | Sports Co-Editor

Jasmyn Flynn-Graves is a senior human performance major at Buena Vista University (BVU) as well as a member of the Beaver women’s basketball team. Flynn-Graves spent her high school years at Abraham Lincoln High School in Council Bluffs, IA.

A huge part of Flynn-Graves decision to come to BVU had to do with the basketball team.

“Coach Berry and Christian played the biggest role in my decision to come to BVU, along with the rest of the team. I also found the campus beautiful and it was nice to come somewhere with so many new people,” Flynn-Graves said.

Head coach Janet Berry started watching Flynn-Graves when was a junior in high school, five years ago. Berry has seen tremendous growth in Flynn-Graves throughout the years as a player as well as a person.

“She is one of the most improved players I have ever had the chance to develop. She has really put the time in to get into better shape and gain so much confidence. She deserves the success she has because she has put all the time in to get better,” Berry said.

Flynn-Graves began playing basketball at a very young age, due to her tall height, and then developed a deeper passion for the game later in life.

“Honestly, I was really tall in 5th grade, and got on a team with all my friends. It wasn’t until high school that I truly found my passion in the sport,” Flynn-Graves said.

This being Flynn-Graves final year with the Beaver basketball team, she has nothing but high hopes for both herself as well as her teammates. The end goal is none other than a conference championship.

“Our team is closer than ever, and we push each other every day in practice. There’s this fire in us this year that I haven’t seen before and I have no doubt in my mind that we have what it takes to win a conference championship,” Flynn-Graves said.

Flynn-Graves has three prior years of experience on the varsity court, including the 2014-15 season as a main contributor, playing in all 25 games of the season. With great performances in the past, there are high expectations for Flynn-Graves from her coaches as well as teammates.

“She has had some huge performances in past seasons. If she can go into every game poised with confidence, she will be fierce. Consistency at her level of play is key. If comes out every game and plays how I know she can, her having an all-conference season will be no surprise to me,” Berry said.

The Beaver basketball team will open play on Monday, Nov. 16 at 6pm against St. Thomas (Minn.) here inside Siebens Fieldhouse.

Photo by Charlie Webster