Winter Sports Preview: Women’s Basketball

Emily Leighton | Staff Writer

As all the fall sports wind down, the Buena Vista University (BVU) Women’s basketball team is just kicking into gear, with high hopes for the season.

This year, there are five seniors that have set the standards for this team. Here’s your chance to get to know them and what they hope to see from this upcoming season.

Lexi Fisher who is a shooting guard for the Beavers has been a significant contributor in her four years at BVU.

“Obviously I know all of us have the same goal of winning a conference championship. So for that to happen, I hope to see that we can all play our roles and keep this same goal in mind throughout the season and I believe we will be successful,” Fisher said.

Jasmyn Flynn-Graves, a center, made six starts last season and will see a significant amount of play time this season.

“This season our goal is to play together, have fun, and win a lot of games. I want to end my senior year with a ring and I know the rest of my teammates are on the same page and that’s exciting,” Graves said.

Forward, Alicia Savoy, has contributed from the bench this past season and has high hopes for her team this year.

“I hope to see the team work together as one to dominate the IIAC conference. I hope we are recognized for our tough defense as well as our ability to work the ball around to get the best shot. Most of all I am excited about going into my final season with my wonderful teammates and working together for a common goal; conference champs,” Savoy said.

Lacey Vokt, a guard, has had significant playing time for the Beavers her past three seasons two of which she contributed as a starter in a majority of the games.

“I am hoping to see good things, I know we have had our struggles but I have a good feeling about this year. I am hoping we get to the championship court. We have put so much time into the off-seasons and pre-seasons to make something happen during season. We as a team want a ring and we are looking forward to winning those ball games in order to get it,” Vokt said.

Lastly, guard Becca Pennington returned to play last season in which she started a majority of the games for the Beavers.

“I hope to have a winning season and honestly a conference title. I know that we are capable of doing so. I hope to see perseverance, determination, and passion all while having fun to have a successful season,” Pennington said.

Head Coach Janet Berry will enter her 24th year as head coach at Buena Vista. She is excited to see how this years’ seniors will help the team, along with the younger and new players.

“We have a great bunch of seniors with a lot of experience. I feel they are all poised and ready to help our team be successful by providing leadership and consistent play. Lexi, Lacey, Becca, Alicia and Jasmyn all have prepared themselves by working hard in the off season to go out and have a successful senior campaign. They are a fun group that are truly committed to their teammates and our program. It will be exciting to see what all they can accomplish this year,” Berry said.

This Beaver basketball team is fired up and ready to show Beaver Nation they are here to compete. The Beavers first home game will be Monday, Nov 16 against St. Thomas (Minn.) with tip-off set for 6 p.m.

Photo by Taylor Staab