Who’s Who in Beaver sports: Shania Wunschel

Tanner Hoops | Staff Writer

Shania Wunschel is a sophomore psychology major from Arthur, Iowa, and also a sprinter for the Buena Vista University (BVU) Women’s Track and Field team.

“I really like being part of the track team,” Wunschel said. “It’s an easy way to make friends quickly and I always know I have people to talk to when I need it.”

Competing for the OABCIG Falcons, Shania was a 4-year track letterwinner in high school, while receiving 3 letters in cross country.

“Being in track made me a more motivated and hard-working person. It’s taught me to be persistent, have good time managing skills, and I’ve learned you get out what you put in,” Wunschel said.

Often times an athlete feels overwhelmed with the pressures of being a student-athlete and trying to find a balance somewhere in between, but Wunschel enjoys her practices and spending time with her teammates and coaches.

“It’s really not that bad spending two hours running in circles when you’re doing it with some of your best friends! This year we have two new sprints/hurdle and jumps coaches. We have a whole new young coaching staff. It’s exciting, they always have new ideas and they’re really easy to connect with,” Wunschel said.

“Shania is a great teammate and one of the leaders for our short sprinters. This summer was a really good summer for her, getting into the weight room here on campus with a couple of other girls and doing the sprint training. All of that conditioning is starting to pay off now that we are officially in season for Indoor Track,” Assistant coach Josh Wall said.

Likewise, Shania thinks very highly of her coaching staff.

“The coaches are really easy to talk to and they’ve already helped me out so much this year with academic and life problems. It’s going to be an awesome season and I can’t wait to see how our teams hard work pays off,” Wunschel said.

“I know she’s really looking forward to competing already, so she brings that excitement to practice every day,” said Wall, “Our coaching staff is excited to watch the women’s team realize their potential this year!”

The Women’s Indoor Track and Field team opens their season Jan. 16 at the Dordt College Indoor Open.

Photo by Charlie Webster