Beyond the Playing Field: Kelsey O’Connor

Emily Leighton | Staff Writer

Kelsey O’Connor, a senior athletic training (AT) and human performance double major at Buena Vista University (BVU). O’Connor resides from Arvada, Colorado. She has also participated on the BVU women’s soccer team for four years.

O’Connor’s favorite part about the AT program is some of the friendships that she has formed throughout her years here at BVU.

“I often call the AT students a dysfunctional family,” O’Connor said. “We spend so much time together during our clinical experience that we really get to know each other on a personal level.”

One of the hardest parts about being an AT major is not only retaining information that you learn in classes for tests and clinicals, but also obtaining knowledge to use the rest of ones life.

“The AT program takes a great deal of hard work. Our classes move very fast and requires many hours of studying outside of class. What we study and learn in class has to go beyond remembering it for the test. We will need this knowledge for the rest of our career,” O’Connor said.

Jamie Schoenherr, a Certified AT at BVU is grateful to have O’Connor around in the AT room.

“Kelsey is a great person. She has shown her dedication by taking multiple AT classes at the same time so she could finish in 4 years. This isn’t an easy task. While she decided late that AT is where her heart is, I am glad she has found her way. She doesn’t take short cuts and puts in the time. That’s one of her best qualities,” Schoenherr said.

As well as the other athletic training students, O’Connor has to manage her time in a way that she can still have fun with friends while keeping up with her AT hours and homework.

“I have always been good at time management but the AT program has really put that to the test. I have two schedules, one in my planner and my outlook schedule that is on my phone and computer. My planner helps me with all my assignments and school work,” O’Connor said. “It helps me stay ahead of course work so I don’t get overwhelmed. My outlook calendar keeps all my appointments organized. It also sets off an alarm so I don’t forget appointments.”

Because O’Connor also participates and competes on the women’s soccer team at BVU she has to manage her team between herself and the coaches as well.

“As for soccer I make sure to communicate with my coaches. Often during the season I would leave from soccer practice for high school football games. I also had all my practices and games in my outlook calendar so I make sure to schedule around soccer,” O’Connor said.

O’Connor will be working with the winter rehab session and also with the BVU baseball team this spring season.

“She always has a good story and a smile on her face! You can always count on that,” Schoenherr said with a smile.