Rewards of being a student coach: Erica Ollendieck

Shelby Bradley | Sports Co-Editor

Fifth-year senior Erica Ollendieck is an Educational Studies major from Tripoli, Iowa and has been apart of the Buena Vista women’s basketball program for four consecutive seasons as a player. Now in her fifth season, she contributes to the team a little differently as a student-coach.

“I really appreciate Erica’s insight and her willingness to help out wherever needed,” head coach Janet Berry said.

Being able to still be part of the team as a student-coach is a rewarding feeling for Ollendieck as she focuses her efforts into encouraging the players or participating during practices by helping rebound. She also loves to see the improvements and growth in each of the players throughout the season.

“I love seeing how much this team clicks as a unit. The women’s basketball team has always been the best of friends, but to be as successful as this team is this year and to be the best of friends is such an awesome thing to be a part of,” Ollendieck said.

Senior center and previous teammate Jasmyn Flynn remarks upon how relatable Ollendieck is to the players as she was once on the very same court as them, and claims that she helps the team overall to play to the best of their ability.

“It was just last year that she was our teammate, so to have her as a coach now it’s almost better; she knows how we feel on the court but now she also sees coaches’ side of things and this helps her communicate with us when we don’t really understand what is going on in coaches’ head,” Flynn said.

Although Ollendieck is a student-coach, there is still much she can contribute to her previous teammates.

“Erica is always positive; she has nothing but faith in this team. Erica’s positivity is what keeps some players in the game, she fills us with confidence and is always cheering,” Flynn said. “Positivity is just a small chunk of all of the incredible things she does for the team. We don’t get the chance to tell her enough how much we appreciate her.”

Ollendieck reiterates about her words of encouragement she gives the players and the help that those words bring to each of them, but she also is confident in the players returning that exact same favor to her.

Photo by: Kyle Wiebers