Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
When I arrived, to my surprise, a Piper Archer II had just landed and way taxiing back to the hangers.
Sunday's pit stop: A gallery by Joshua Tigges
March 2, 2024
A shot at partnership: BVU and Mercy College launch 3 + 1 nursing program
March 1, 2024
Hot Dish literary magazine submissions open
February 23, 2024
Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
March 2, 2024
March 1, 2024
February 23, 2024

Transfer Tidbits

Transfer+Tidbits

Elisabeth Niebuhr | Contributing Writer

Transferring from one school to another can be a tough. There is always a lot to learn from the lay of the land, to the student climate, meeting new people, and so much more. It can be overwhelming at times.

As a transfer student, I know what you are going through. It can be quite the challenge, but you can feel home at Buena Vista University (BVU) in no time.

Here’s some advice from other transfer students that will help you adjust to being at BVU.

Carissa Rainey, a junior transfer from DMACC this fall advises, “Don’t panic. Chances are the course work will be more challenging than you are used to. However, this will help you grow for the future, and the teachers are always available to help,” Rainey said.

She also says to use your resources. “There are many programs and resources here to help you reach success such as the CAE, as well as the teachers. They are exceptional at what they do,” Rainey said.

A junior transfer from Ellsworth Community College this fall, Abbey Brophy, suggests that everyone should get involved. “It is the best way to make new friends,” Brophy said.

Being a transfer student and not knowing anyone can be hard. Joining organizations and clubs is a great way to meet people and can help make friendships. There are lots of ways to be part of groups on campus. Do some digging and find an organization that’s right for you.

Make sure you have down time. As Rainey said, course work here will be more challenging. That being said, it is easy to get overwhelmed and feel like your drowning. Even if you have a lot to do, give yourself a little bit of down time every day, even if its only 15 minutes, to relax, destress, have fun, and refocus. It will make a world of a difference.

If you are overstressed and/or are struggling, find someone to talk to. Whether that be your roommate, a friend, Mandy Boothby in Student Affairs, your RA, or even your advisor. If you need someone to talk to, don’t be afraid to reach out. It will make you feel a lot better and everyone is willing to help.

The faculty here are amazing and really want to help you succeed, so get to know your teachers and advisor(s). Getting to know and talk to those important people will help you down the road. It will make it easier to ask for help and could open up opportunities down the road, so don’t be shy.

It can get a little boring in town, especially on the weekends, but there is actually a lot to do on campus. Go to events and use opportunities/resources to have fun! The Resident Hall Directors have games, ask if you can use them. Use the various rooms and spaces set up for fun, like The Underground, Skybox, and so on. The Student Activities Board, and other clubs have lots of events going on during the year and normally involve games, sometimes prizes, or other fun things. The rec house has lots of equipment for having fun in the winter or enjoying the beauty of the lake during the spring and fall. Make sure you utilize it to make the most out of your experience and time here at BVU.

Last tidbit of advice, don’t be afraid to ask questions. BVU has its own culture and probably works differently than your last school. Reach out to others whenever you need to or are curious about anything. Everyone is happy to help you, so don’t be shy.

All of these tips may seem like no brainers, but sometimes we forget the simple stuff. Hopefully, they will help acclimate you to campus and make settling in even smoother. Here’s to having a great rest of the year and enjoying your life at BVU.

Photos and graphic by Dee Friesen