Ink’d: Jessica Leeper

Brittany Poeppe | Assistant Arts + Life Editor

IMG_20160228_2For many people who have been inked, tattoos tell a story. Sometimes they have personal meaning tied to a time in their life, sometimes they’re connected to a loved one, and sometimes the ink is there as a reminder of a mantra, a belief, or a way of life.

For BVU junior Jessica Leeper, it’s all of the above.

Jess has two tattoos, but she has plans of getting more. Both of her tattoos were her own concept, and she is proud of the way they turned out. Jess’ first tattoo is a cross on her back, featuring a banner that says “believe.” Behind the banner is a red “I,” which reminds her every day that she believes in God.

IMG_20160228_3“I am not affiliated with any sort of religion. I tend to just have my own thoughts derived from other religions. After many deaths and other struggles I’ve gone through throughout my life, I felt as if it was God who was always there for me and got me through these tough times. Due to my struggle with my faith, I decided to get the cross tattoo as a constant reminder that I believe in God. The significance is based off the fact that I, myself, believe in God, which is why there is a big red I hidden behind the banner saying ‘Believe.’ The significance of the tattoo on my back is also a constant reminder that God will always be there for me, and will always ‘have my back.’”

Jess’s second tattoo is a kitten and paw prints on her wrist. She got a “matching” tattoo with her mom, symbolizing their bond, as well as their love for each other.

IMG_20160301_2“My mother has a mother cat to symbolize her being there for me and taking care of me just like a mother should. My tattoo is of a kitten to symbolize that I will always be her little girl and that I will always have my mother there and looking out for me. When my mother and I place our tattoos together, the tails of the cats form a heart, which symbolizes our love and the strength of our mother-daughter bond. This is especially significant, since you can’t create the heart without the other. The footprints symbolize the path that we have gone through together. ”

Jess also got the kitten and paw prints as a dual meaning. The tattoo for her is also a symbol of the struggles she has gone through, and even the struggles she faces today.

“Throughout my childhood, I have gone through many hardships, but the main struggle I have gone through is bullying. I have been bullied- both physically and mentally- sexually harassed, and sexually assaulted by, not only peers, but my ‘friends,’ family members, and even adults, such as teachers and bus drivers. During these times I resulted to cutting, which is the significance of the tattoo’s wrist placement. Throughout all these hardships, though, my mother was always there for me, and always pulled me through it. So the main significance of my tattoo is that it’s a symbol to remind me that I am moving on, and that everything is going to be alright.” IMG_20160228_5

Jess’ tattoos are a constant reminder of not only her struggles, but they are also a reminder that she is her own woman. She likes to think that she’s always moving forward, and her tattoos help give her strength in her life’s journey. One of her beliefs is in the Latin phrase, “tabula rasa,” or the belief that the body is a blank canvas that can be personalized. As a blank canvas, Jess has plans for more tattoos.

“As of right now I have three more tattoos planned and will probably plan on getting more as I get older and think of more ideas. First, I plan on getting a tribal feather on the lower right front area of my waist. The significance of this tattoo is to remind me to always be free, and to be myself. Since I was bullied a significant amount of my life, I always struggled with this situation of conforming to everyone’s beliefs of being ‘pretty’ and acting ‘normal.’ The feather would be there to remind me to stay true to myself. Second, I plan on getting a dream catcher filled with roses on my left hip/quad area. Through my life I have dealt with the experiences of body dysmorphic disorder, so this tattoo would be there to remind me that I am beautiful, not just on the outside, but especially on the inside. The third tattoo I plan on getting will be in honor of my parents. At some point, I know that my parents will pass away, when they do, I want to get wings connected to my cross with their passing dates above their wing in their honor. This will remind me that my guardian angels are now up in heaven watching over me.”

As of now, Jess doesn’t regret either of her tattoos and doubts she ever will. She says she got her tattoos for herself and their meaning, and though they may affect her ability to get a job as a future teacher, Jess says she will work even harder to break the stereotype that comes along with having tattoos.

Photos courtesy of Jessica Leeper
Graphic by Dee Friesen