Who’s who in Beaver sports: Bennett Mann

Kelsey Ackerman | Sports Co-Editor

Bennett Mann is a senior Business Entrepreneurship major who came to Buena Vista University (BVU) from Marshalltown Community College to join to BVU baseball team.

When deciding where to continue his baseball career, Mann said that head coach Steve Eddie had the most to do with his decision to join the Beaver family.

“He [Eddie] told me about how great the school is and the team was, but he didn’t stop there like most coaches do. He cared about my parents and me beyond the diamond and was interested in what I wanted to do after college,” Mann said.

Eddie knew that Mann was a player he wanted even when Mann was still in highschool. The head coach noticed his work ethic and how he put the team first more than anything.

“I felt he would fit in great with our guys. I wish he would have come to BVU out of high school, because I enjoy working with him and watching him play, but two years is better than none, and I’m not sure where we would be without him,” Eddie said.

In Mann’s first season at BVU in 2015, he emerged as a key contributor for the Beavers. Mann led the team in doubles with 11 along with two triples and two home runs. After the season, Mann was named First-Team All-IIAC.

Mann’s favorite aspect of BVU baseball, lies in the relationships he gets to make with his teammates and coaches.

“When I leave here, it won’t matter if we go to the World Series. What really matters is the memories and whether in the next year or the next 20 years down the road I will still be in touch with my teammates or not, and of course going to Arizona and getting IN-N-OUT Burger,” Mann said.

Going into the 2016 season, Eddie expects Mann to make the biggest impact in run production, as well as setting the tone in the dugout every game the team plays.

“While a regular in the outfield for us, we will have a lot of chances to frive in runs with where he hits in our lineup,” Eddie said.

This senior season for Mann is about more than just the game of baseball.

Mann’s three year old cousin was diagnosed with Congenital Heart Disorder (CHD). Mann’s cousin’s name is Stock Pille. Stock will have open heart surgery this May, and Mann plans to play this season for him, and will be praying the whole time.

“I would like to dedicate this season to him [Stock Pille]. My goal is to finish this season, get my degree, and go home and see my healthy three year old cousin playing and laughing with his toy tractor,” Mann said.

The Beaver baseball team will head to Tucson, AZ this spring break for the Tucson Invitational.

Photo by Kyle Wiebers