Despite a tough loss, Henningsen claims a new school record

Tanner Hoops | Staff Writer

Coming off a 42-33 loss to Mayville State in his team’s season opener a week ago, mistakes kept running through the mind of 11th-year Buena Vista football head coach, Jay Anderson.

“My one big concern was our tackling and my second one was our special teams,” Anderson said.

The road would not get any easier in Week 2 as the Beavers welcomed 8th-ranked St. John’s to J. Leslie Rollins Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 10.

“Offensively we were feast or famine [against Mayville State],” Anderson said. “We have to be better in short yardage situations.”

When the dust had settled, the Johnnies had spoiled the Beavers’ 2016 home opener by a final score of 40-17 in front of an attendance of 2,300 fans.

The Johnnies needed just three plays to find the endzone on their first possession of the game as Jared Streit hauled in a 15-yard touchdown pass from Jackson Erdmann. With less than a minute remaining in the first quarter, Adam Essler capped off a 10-play, 80-yard drive with a 6-yard touchdown run, however Alexi Johnson’s extra point try sailed wide left, leaving the score 13-0 in favor of the visitors.

Evan Clark hauled in two second quarter touchdown passes, in which Johnson split on his point after attempts, putting the Johnnies up 26-0. With less than three minutes left until halftime, Erdmann threw his fourth touchdown pass of the half, this time targeting Dan Harrington on a 37-yard strike, giving St. John’s a 33-0 halftime lead.

Buena Vista attempted a rally by scoring the first ten points of the second half. Minutes after a 29-yard field goal by Tyler Stolen, the Beavers recovered a St. John’s fumble, setting up a 72-yard touchdown pass from Trevor Trunck to Jalen Henningsen.

The two teams traded touchdown passes in the fourth quarter; the Johnnies on a 4-yard pass to Matt Miller and the Beavers on a 12-yard strike to Charlie Flickinger, setting up the game’s 40-17 final score.

Trunck was 21-37 through the air for two touchdowns and an interception. Henningsen, who’s 133rd career catch came Saturday against the Johnnies, set a new school record for career receptions as part of his 9 catch, 140 yard performance.

“Breaking the school record is a goal I had since I came in my freshman year,” Henningsen said. “It feels great to finally accomplish that. It took a lot of hard work and having the right focus to achieve it.”

Jake Staudt, Brady Illg and Zach Mueggenberg led the Beaver defense, recording nine tackles each.

“For next week against Central we need to come out of the gate fast and execute each and every play,” Henningsen continued. “Central will be a tough opponent, but if we do our job I know our team can do some big things.”

The Beavers, now 0-2 on the year, will look to rebound as conference play begins Saturday, Sept. 17, as Buena Vista travels to Central for a 1:00 pm kickoff.

Photo by Meredith Van Zuiden