1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus

Beyond the Playing Field: Dominic Morales

Kelsey Ackerman | Sports Co-Editor

Dominic Morales has just begun his first year as an Athletic Trainer here at Buena Vista University (BVU). He brings two years of graduate assistant training from Boise State University with him to BVU.

Morales studied Athletic Training at Lindenwood University, and continued his education with a Masters in Athletic Leadership from Boise State University.

“I was drawn to this job opening at BVU, because it is a lot closer to home [St. Louis] than Boise State was,” Morales said, “I was also looking for somewhere that I would get the opportunity to teach, as well as preform my duties as an Athletic Trainer.”

Morales worked with the Boise State wrestling team in his two years at the school, and has always enjoyed working with wrestlers. At BVU, he also gets to work with the volleyball team.

“I knew I would enjoy working with the wrestling team here at BVU, but I had no idea how I would feel about volleyball. I would have never expected to feel the way I do about it. I’m not sure if its this group of girls, the sport, or the combination of the both, but I absolutely love it,” Morales said.

The respect Morales has for his current in season athletes, is nothing short of returned by these athletes. Jamie Navinskey is a junior volleyball player, who has battled knee injuries such as a torn ACL and meniscus, and has worked a lot this season with Morales.

“He is more present in other parts of our lives, not just the treatment. It’s unlike anything Athletic Trainer I’ve worked with in the past,” Navinskey said, “He is always looking to joke around with the athletes, which helps make rehab not as unbearable. He also really focuses on making connections with us so we feel like we can trust him and go to him with issues, which is just going to help make the team more successful.”

While Morales is early in his career as an Athletic Trainer, he can already tell that this is the job for him. The biggest enjoyment is being on the inside but also being on the outside.

“Without being a coach, I still get to see the athletes develop not only into great players but great people,” Morales said, “The greatest feeling is when you rehab someone post surgery or traumatic injury and you just get to sit back and watch them comeback even better than they were before.”

Morales already loves the athletes he works with and the atmosphere of BVU in his short time here and it is clear his athletes reciprocate that respect.