Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
When I arrived, to my surprise, a Piper Archer II had just landed and way taxiing back to the hangers.
Sunday's pit stop: A gallery by Joshua Tigges
March 2, 2024
A shot at partnership: BVU and Mercy College launch 3 + 1 nursing program
March 1, 2024
Hot Dish literary magazine submissions open
February 23, 2024
Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
March 2, 2024
March 1, 2024
February 23, 2024

Henningsen selected to play in National Bowl Game

Kelsey Ackerman | Sports Co-Editor

The Buena Vista University (BVU) football team’s senior wide receiver, Jalen Henningsen, has been selected to participate in the seventh annual National Bowl Game in Daytona Beach, Fla. The game will be played this Sunday, Dec. 4.

Henningsen will be a member of the American team, sporting number 84. The American team will be coached by Brian Ferguson, current coach at Tusculum University and former offensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Sharks Arena team. They will compete against the National team coached by Scotty Walden, the Head Coach at East Texas Baptist University.

“This national recognition is very cool for me. It is definitely a huge honor for me to be able to play in this bowl game,” Henningsen said.

The annual National Bowl Game consists of top players from across the nation and from NCAA Division II, III, and NAIA schools. The game already has confirmed NFL scouts from several teams as well as Arena Football League teams.

“I’m looking forward to playing with a bunch of great players and in front of some NFL scouts,” Henningsen said, “I’ve always dreamed of playing professional football since I was a kid and I want to make that dream a reality.”

Henningsen was the only Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) player selected to play in the game. Henningsen finished his final year at BVU by setting school records for career receiving yards and receptions.

Sophomore quarterback Cole Miller, isn’t surprised at all that Henningsen received this opportunity.

“He is a hard worker on and off the field. He does what is expected of him and more,” Miller said. “His speed, reliability, and hard work put him above most people that guard him, which plays a big part in his success.”

Henningsen may have finished up his career at BVU with 201 receptions for 3,005 yards, and 25 touchdowns, but he’s not done with football yet. Sunday’s game will start at 10 a.m. EST (9 a.m. CST) and can be streamed at SFSN.TV.

Image by Meredith Vanzuiden