Beaver Sports Update: Women’s Volleyball

Beaver Sports Update: Womens Volleyball

Andrew Bandstra, Contributing Writer

After finishing right at .500 last season and losing some seniors, some IAAC opponents may have counted the Beavers out for the 2017 season. Head volleyball coach Lori Slight had other plans, as the Beavers were on fire prior to this weekend, winning 15 out of their last 17 sets, translating to a 5 game win streak. This win streak could not have come at a better time for the Beavers, as it led them right into conference play in which they started right where they left off, taking 3 straight sets over the Prairie Wolves of Nebraska Wesleyan, putting BVU at 1-0 in IAAC play to begin the season.

“We want to leave a mark on this program. We as a team don’t want to be average anymore. We know what kind of work we have put into this season, how much we trained over the summer, and as a whole we want to do more,” said senior, Jamie Navinskey.

With a mix of talent on the BVU roster, coming from freshmen through seniors, this BVU team seems like it will be in the mix to contend for an IAAC title for some time to come. But something that they will not have for a long time is senior outside hitter Jade Schaap.

Schaap has always been an incredible player for Buena Vista, but she solidified her spot in BVU history last week when she set a school record with 29 kills in a four set match. On many other teams, Schaap may be able to post these numbers on more consistent basis, but she has been surrounded by many talented players her whole career, once again showing the greatness of BVU volleyball over the years.

Following this winning streak the Beavers went on a skid at the Wartburg Tournament this past weekend, losing in all three of their matchups. But, this should not concern Beaver fans being that it is evident that the team is capable of putting together wins with their immense amount of talent at any given time.

Buena Vista’s next game will be at Simpson on Tuesday night at 7:30.