Who’s Who: Canyon Hopkins

Emily Kenny, Visuals Editor

Canyon Hopkins is a six-foot-four sophomore from Earlham, Iowa, and a forward for the Buena Vista University men’s basketball team.

Hopkins said that he started playing basketball at a young age and has loved competing ever since.

“I was able to go out and play a game that I love with some awesome people and friends,” he said.

Hopkins said his favorite basketball-related memory would be last year when the BVU men’s basketball team beat Coe with a buzzer-beater, three-point shot.

“It was the craziest game I have ever been a part of,” he said. “We came back from seven down with a minute to go. We just kept believing and kept saying something crazy might happen. It was a great moment to share with my teammates, coaches and best friends.”

While playing basketball, Hopkins’ biggest influence has been his father.

“He is the hardest working and most kind-hearted guy I know. He might not show it all the time, but he is a big softy. He has always been there with me through all the practices, games and long road trips. I am truly blessed to have such a great guy as my father,” Hopkins said.

Part way into the current season, Hopkins has started in four games and he averages 10.3 points per game. Hopkins has big goals for the season, and believes they have the team to accomplish these goals.

“I think we have a great group of guys in our locker room. We might not be the biggest team, but we pride ourselves on being faster and working harder than our opponent,” he said. “A goal of ours is to win a conference title, and there is no doubt in my mind that we can’t do so. Hopefully that will lead us to the national tournament, but for right now we are just going to take it one game at a time.”

Head coach for the BVU men’s basketball team, Brian Van Haaften, talks highly of the versatility that Hopkins offers as a player.

“He can dribble as a big man, seal inside, shoot it and he can defend well,” Van Haaften said.

Coach Van Haaften also says that the coaching staff has high expectations for Hopkins this season.

“We think he can be one of the better post players in the conference this year. He will get better and better as the season goes along,” Van Haaften said.

Hopkins says he feels lucky to be part of the BVU team and doesn’t take it for granted.

“It is truly a blessing to lace up with my best friends every day,” he said.