Who’s Who in Beaver Sports: Jeremiah Rice

Emily Kenny

Emily Kenny, Visual Editor

Buena Vista University (BVU) recruits athletes from all over the world. Many of them come across the United States to participate in the sport they love, and one out-of-state student is making an impact on the BVU track team.

Jeremiah Rice, a freshman from Fort Myers, Florida, is a dual sport athlete for the Beavers. He is a wide receiver for the football team and competes as a sprinter for the men’s track and field team. Rice also participates in triple and long jumping.

His personal records for the indoor season are 41 feet and 8.25 inches in the triple jump, 20 feet and 5.5 inches in the long jump and 7.29 seconds in the 60-meter-dash. Rice is only two feet off of the indoor record, and four feet off of the outdoor record in the triple jump.

Rice was raised in a family of track and field athletes and fans, which made him fall in love with the sport. However, he chose a different path than his past relatives.

“My family is a track and field family. The men and women in my family competed in sprinting events but no field events. I wanted to be different and be the first one to compete in field events, and that’s what I did,“ said Rice.

Rice says he is motivated by his family, in particular, his little brother. While his little brother remains back home in Florida, Rice still feels his presence with him here as he competes.

“My biggest influence is my younger brother back home because he looks up to me, and I want the best for him,” said Rice.

His favorite memory from track and field was from his time in high school when he competed at Disney World in jumping events.

Head track and field coach Colton Slack, says Rice’s competitive drive as a student-athlete motivates him to perform.

“Jeremiah is a very explosive student-athlete that is never satisfied,” said Slack. “He has high goals for himself and he is determined to accomplish them.”

Rice competed well this season, and Coach Slack has high hopes for the future of his athletes track and field career at BVU.

“Rice has the potential to break the school record in the triple jump, and we think he can achieve that this season,” said Slack. “As long as he works hard and believes in himself, the sky is the limit.”

The BVU Open Invite on March 29, 2018 will be the next home meet and it will kick off the track and field teams’ outdoor season. Events are scheduled to begin at 10:00 a.m.