An Endless Winter: January 104, 2018

Emily Kenny

Aubrey Anderson, Opinion Editor

Is it April? Or is it still January?

That is the question that everyone seems to be asking, and not just at BVU, but across the entire upper Midwest. Many people, such as my friends at BVU and the many hundreds of people on the internet are asking the question: When will this winter end?

Here at BVU, we have yet to see any trace of Spring. Only a few glimmers of hope with nice days scattered throughout March and the beginning of April. Any rumors of Spring were clearly a lie! As I write this, there is snow falling. In mid-April. In fact, we are in a full blown blizzard warning. What’s up with that?

Although I enjoy snow and colder weather, this has gone on far too long! I should not be my wearing snow boots and winter jacket, dreaming of going outside with less than four layers of clothing on, just to stay comfortable.

So they say, “April showers bring May flowers,” but all we’ve seen in snow. At the rate we’re going, we will be lucky to see grass, albeit brown grass, by May. Let alone plants or anything green.

I miss being able to walk without the fear of slipping. I miss the warmth of the sun on my face. I want to wear sunglasses to prevent the warm sunlight, snow blindness due to the purely white landscape everywhere I look. I miss being able to wear open toed shoes and short sleeved tops. I want to take a walk around our beautiful campus just for the fun of it, not just to get from point A to point B.

And I know I am not the only one that feels this way.

I know that some people on campus love the snow, and do not want this weather to leave. That is their preference and I can understand some of their love of winter. They love the cold because it encourages people to stay inside, snuggle up in a cozy blanket and watch movies and relax, allowing us to take a break from our often too hectic lives. They love to have snowball fights and the joys of sledding or ice skating and snowmobiling.

While I respect that point of view, I feel that six months of winter is enough.

Spring, are you out there? Here in the Midwest, we miss you and want you to show yourself soon. We are sorry for ever taking you for granted. Please come back!