VP of Enrollment Management Mike Frantz Resigns from BVU

Photo Courtesy of UMC

Jordyn Daggs-Olson, Assistant News Editor

Mike Frantz, former vice president of enrollment management, resigned from Buena Vista University on September 4th. Kevin McIntyre will serve as interim vice president of enrollment management through the fiscal year.  

After Frantz announced his resignation, President Josh Merchant hired Scott Healy and Associates, a nationally known higher-education interim replacement for enrollment engagement firm. After selecting and interviewing four candidates, McIntyre was hired as Frantz’s interim replacement. McIntyre comes from Millikin University in Decatur, Illinois where he served as dean of admissions and saw significant enrollment growth in the last three years. Kevin will serve through June 30, 2019 and will oversee Storm Lake and OSG enrollment departments as well as work closely with Financial Aid director, Leanne Valentine.  

“He [Kevin] is talented, smart, and articulate. He understands enrollment at an institution like BV,” Merchant said.   

In addition to working with Admissions, OSG, and Financial Aid personnel, McIntyre will be conducting an ongoing review of enrollment strategies for future improvement of the admissions department.  

Looking ahead, Merchant plans to decide and retain a search firm in October. The university will begin the search for a new vice president beginning in January. Merchant emphasizes the role of the campus community in this hire. A full search committee will be comprised of faculty, staff, and students. This committee will be in charge of the first-round interviews and will be further involved as the search process continues to an eventual hire for the position.  

President Merchant described what he looks for as early characteristics in the search process.

“Someone with a rising star, who has executive level experience, and has an understanding of the Midwest, rural private higher education, traditional and non-traditional sites,” he said.

Other factors include an understanding of marketing strategies for a new generation of students and parents, understanding how to market new programs, entrepreneurship, and a willingness to take risks.  

“Someone who has a fire in their belly as big as mine, if not bigger,” explained Merchant.  

President Merchant commended Frantz’s service to BVU and sees this transition as another opportunity for BVU to move forward.

“I wish Mike well. I wish him all the success. He was a good colleague, friend, and I have no doubt he will be successful.”  

This transition should not have any effect on current students. Merchant reassures that this transition will help BVU “develop a fresh lens for development and recruitment.”