Who’s Who in Beaver Sports: Eric Pacheco

Back to Article
Back to Article

Allie Hartman, Sports Photographer

Eric Pacheco is a sophomore at Buena Vista University studying sports medicine. Pacheco comes to BV from Kearney, Nebraska, where he attended Kearney Catholic. Eric is a wide receiver for the BVU football team.  

Pacheco has been a great asset to the BVU football team since he came to campus last year. As a freshman, Eric caught 34 passes which put him in third for the team and added 664 receiving yards for the team, good for second on the team. He was first in yards/receptions, averaging 19.5 yards per catch. He handled kick and punt return duties for the Beavers and was first on the team in all-purpose yards at over 1,200 yards.  

In the current season, Eric has played in all five games for the Beavers. He has had 598 yards so far this season, averages 119.6 yards per game, and has had seven touchdowns. Pacheco has been a key component of the BVU football team.  

“I first fell in love with football when I first watched my older brothers play. I definitely [would] not be where I am today without them,” Pacheco says. 

Talking about how football has been important to him for so long, Pacheco mentions that his favorite football related memory comes from high school.   

“My favorite football related memory has to be from high school, when we beat the returning state champions in the playoffs and it was on the last play of the game,” says Pacheco. 

Pacheco’s father has always been a positive influence throughout his life, not only in football.  

“My biggest influence would have to be my father. He has always been such an uplifting and supportive character in my life,” Pacheco explains. 

Grant Mollring, head coach for the Beavers, comments on how much Eric contributes to the football team.  

“Eric is a great teammate.  He is a very positive person and does not get down on himself or his teammates.  When you combine that attitude with his talent, he becomes a very important piece of our puzzle.  He is a very versatile athlete and we have used him in a variety of roles that benefit our team,” explains Mollring. 

As successful as Pacheco has been on the team, Mollring still expects to see Pacheco improve. 

“He has an extremely high ceiling that he can reach as a player here at BVU, and I want to see him increase his knowledge of opposing defenses, improve his blocking, and continue to be an example for our freshmen on the team,” says Mollring. 

Pacheco and his teammates can be found playing this Saturday as the Beavers face the Duwaks for their homecoming game, starting at 1 p.m.

Allie Hartman, Sports Photography

Hey Guys! My name is Allie, I'm from Storm Lake, IA, and I am the Sports Photographer for The Tack and an occasional writer! I am a Senior Strategic Public...

Emily Kenny, Editor-in-Chief

Hey everyone! My name is Emily, I am the co-editor-in-chief of The Tack. I am a senior at Buena Vista University. I am a double major in psychology and...