Show Your BVU Spirit: Homecoming 2019

Allie Hartman

Autumn McClain, News Editor

Homecoming week for Buena Vista University kicked off Sunday, September 15 and will go through Saturday, September 22.

“It’s a week jammed packed with activities that are geared towards students,” says Natalie Brewer, VP of Homecoming for BVU’s Student Activities Board (SAB). Homecoming is an event that strives to bring BVU alumni, current students, and faculty together to celebrate school spirit and pride.

Traditionally, BV homecoming has taken on a variety of themes such as ‘Back to the Future’. This year, homecoming will be ‘BVU spirit’ themed. BVU is introducing a new branding logo as a part of the 2019 homecoming theme. The university officially retired its past brand on Monday, September 16. The new brand has been revealed Tuesday, September 17.   

Brand Day [is] a day to celebrate our new brand platform with stakeholders across campus and across the country,” said Josh Merchant, President of BVU.

“On Friday, during our homecoming parade, we (SAB) will be wearing our new branded t-shirts and we will be giving out stickers and stress balls with the new branding,” said Brewer. The branding will include a new logo of both the arch as well as a new portrayal of Buford the Beaver. 

This homecoming season, students have the opportunity to participate in a social media challenge. “Take a picture either of yourself or with a group of friends with the most BVU spirit you have. Whether that be cheering at the game or wearing a bunch of blue and gold BV themed stuff,” said Brewer.

Students are instructed to post these photos on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, and tag the BVU Student Activities Board account (@BVUSAB). The contest ends on the Thursday of homecoming week, and the grand prize, a Polaroid Camera, will be given to one lucky winner at coronation.

The lip sync battle will take place at coronation on Friday, September 20, from 7-8:30 pm in Lamberti Fieldhouse. Elected homecoming court will compete in pairs, lip singing popular songs in front of all who attend coronation. Students, faculty/staff, parents, alumni, and community members are all invited to attend. A complete list of event details was emailed to students, staff/faculty on Thursday, September 12 by BVU News. Posters with event details are also displayed around campus.

Homecoming is organized and produced by Alumni and Personal Development as well as SAB.

“Natalie Brewer really is the forefront of homecoming. She is the one to get all the credit for homecoming. She has done an amazing job. My role as president is to oversee her and the things she’s doing and to make sure she has all the tools she needs to be successful,” said Isabel Haas, President of SAB.

Brewer has organized a handful of events that will take place throughout the week some of which include laser tag, caricatures, custom spray-painted t-shirts, as well as an Indie Pop concert taking place on central campus 9-10pm Friday, following Coronation. Homecoming t-shirts will be sold in the cafeteria through-out the week during lunch (11am-1pm) and dinner (5-7pm). T-shirts are $5, and payment will be accepted in cash or card. Raffle tickets will be given to students at events throughout the week. The more events students attend, the greater chance of winning a prize. At the concert, all remaining raffle tickets will be put into a larger drawing with a chance to win 21 pilots’ tickets.

BVU’s campus will be buzzing with activity this week, and SAB board members are encouraging all students to get involved.

“Getting involved not only helps build character and leadership, but it helps you connect with alumni, staff/faculty, and other students,” said Brewer.

Haas cheerfully added, “I just want to encourage everyone to get out and have some fun!”