Women’s basketball works for conference title

Womens+basketball+works+for+conference+title+

Bailey Schafbuch | Sports Co-Editor

The Buena Vista University (BVU) women’s basketball team is continuing to better their game after reflections from a recent scrimmage against Northwestern College.

“Having the scrimmage after seven days of practice helped us out because we now know what we need to work on individually and as a team. I am very happy with how quickly the newcomers are picking up our style of fast pace play,” senior Brooke Wehle said.

The team worked hard in the off-season to prepare for the first practice and eventual scrimmage against the Red Raiders. They lifted three days a week, conditioned two days a week, and played pick-up games in the Lamberti Recreation Center four days a week.

The first day of practice was filled with many fundamental drills helping the women get back into a routine. These drills were specifically rebounding drills, catch and release drills, as well as up and down the court drills, which helped condition the women.

According to Wehle, captain of the team, the women have a strong group returning. In addition to Wehle, this group consists of seniors Tara Lehner and Heather Hansman, juniors Malarie Gilley and Susan Kies, and sophomore Becca Pennington.

“Tara helped us out a lot defensively in the scrimmage and will be a very critical rebounder for us. Heather will be a great contributor on the boards as well. Malarie will be a big factor for us in the lane this year. Becca’s defense is awesome, and we will be using her quickness to our advantage this year running the court. Susan has a great outside shot and can take anybody one-on-one to the hoop,” Wehle said.

In addition to these upperclassmen leaders come the new freshman faces as well. The team has already established a high level of team chemistry. The girls love spending time with each other, and the freshman are fitting right in with the team.

The Beavers are working to win the conference title this season. They will compete in their first official game of the season versus Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri on Friday, Nov. 16.

Graphic by Keyla Sosa