BVU fall athletes rack up honors

BVU fall athletes rack up honors

Griffin Truslow | Staff Writer

As the 2012 fall sports season comes to an end, awards have been handed out to 11 deserving Buena Vista University (BVU) athletes from various sports.

“It was a productive fall for our student-athletes in Beaver Athletics on many levels,” Athletic Director Christyn Abaray said.

Athletes from football, men’s and women’s soccer, as well as volleyball all received conference honors. Six football players received honors for their outstanding play this year: senior offensive lineman Michael Wiegmann, senior linebacker Nick Plueger, senior running back John Hill, senior wide receiver Logan Lehrkamp, junior defensive end TJ Bruch, and sophomore running back Dylan Barrett.

Sophomore Joey Stivers of the men’s soccer team was awarded with an Honorable Mention All-Conference selection. In addition, three players from the women’s soccer team took home honors: senior Kellyn Arnold, senior Shelby Ripperger, and freshman Tori Carson.

Sophomore Kirsten Van Zuiden of the women’s volleyball player was also recognized with an Honorable Mention All-Conference selection.

Senior football player Michael Wiegmann was one of the many players who walked away with all-conference honors. Wiegmann is the center for the BVU football team and was voted to the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) first team offense.

In addition to his all-conference honors, Wiegmann was also invited to play in two bowl games: The Aztec Bowl and The Metrodome All-American Bowl. The 36th Annual Aztec Bowl will be held on Friday, Dec. 14, and the 17th Annual Metrodome All American Bowl will take place on Saturday, Dec. 22.

“I am really thankful for this opportunity I have been presented. My teammates and coaches are the ones who have made this opportunity possible for me, and I couldn’t have done it without them. I am very excited to be a part of Team USA and represent them against the Mexican College All Stars. It’s going to be an experience of a lifetime,” Wiegmann said.

“Mike is special. To be selected as an All-Star and represent not only BVU and Division III but also his country is an impressive accomplishment and well-deserved. I’ll be looking forward to both the Aztec Bowl and the All-American Bowl,” Abaray said..

Another BVU athlete who was highly awarded was senior forward Kellyn Arnold. Arnold made BVU history by becoming the first women’s soccer player from BVU to ever be selected to the IIAC’s first team. She was also named to the Capital One Academic All-District First Team. This is the second straight season she has received this honor. Arnold ends her BVU soccer career being the program’s all-time leading scorer.