Men’s basketball start of with a 1-1 record for the season

Ashley Lage | Contributing Writer

During the weekend of Nov. 17, the Buena Vista University (BVU) men’s basketball team had their first outing at the Johnson Bank Tip-off Classic at Carroll University in Waukesah, Wis. The team finished with a 1-1 record for the weekend, suffering their first lost to Carthage College, but proceeded to come out the next day with a stellar win over Concordia University.

The Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) Coaches’ Preseason Poll ranked the Beavers second in the conference. This shows that they’re predicted to have a very successful season as well as giving them motivation to prove they should have been ranked number one. A couple of the players on the team had many thoughts going into the weekend.

“I am really excited for the weekend. I think overall as a team we are just really anxious to get out there and play. We have had a really good couple months of preparation, and we are ready to go. I think most of the guys get a little nervous before the game, but that is to be expected. It’s our first game so I think once we settle in we will be just fine,” senior Troy Ticknor said.

“I am feeling great going into the tournament; I am excited and ready to get the season going. We have been practicing for a while, and I am ready for games to begin. I am a little anxious, but that is no different than any game during the season,” sophomore Cole Darrow said.

Friday, the Beavers had a cold shooting night, just shooting under 30 percent for the entire game as senior Wes Nordquist had a double-double with 12 points and 11 boards. He was followed by senior Troy Ticknor who posted nine points and three assists. The Beavers went on to drop the contest 63-56.

The next night out, the team posted a convincing 10-point win (76-66) over Concordia-Wisconsin. Several men chipped in. Four were in double figures and Darrow led the way with 17 points. Other men contributing to the balanced attack were Nordquist, Ticknor, and freshman Nick Clark. The Beavers’ largest lead of the night was right off the bat as they were ahead 20-2 with just eight minutes into the game. Shooting a solid 51.7 percent during the game gave the Beavers the win, also allowing Nordquist to be named to the All-Tournament Team.

“Our first game, we came out a little slow, but we played great defense against a very good team. Our second game, we came out fast, and we had a lead the entire game. It was an exciting game and tournament, and I can’t wait to see how the rest of the season goes. I believe that we will only continue to improve. We have a lot of potential, and November 28th will be a lot of fun,” Darrow said.

“I think it’s something to build off of, and we are really excited to keep our season going this week. We are really excited to be back at home this year. We have the best support in the conference from students, faculty, and parents. I think it will be a great year for Beaver Basketball,” Ticknor said.

The Beavers will be in action again on Saturday, Nov. 24 for their first home contest against the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point with a 7:00 p.m. start.

Graphic by Keyla Sosa