Anderson hands in resignation as BVU Head Football Coach

Kelsey Ackerman & Shelby Bradley | Sports Co-Editors

On Wednesday, Nov. 16, Buena Vista University (BVU) Head Football Coach Jay Anderson handed in his resignation.

Anderson’s departure comes after his 11th season as the BVU Head Football Coach, and 20+ seasons a part of the Beaver football program.

Current players have appreciated Anderson’s coaching and mentorship throughout the years.

“Coach Jay is a stand up man that gave this program and his players maximum effort and commitment,” junior offensive lineman Joseph Thraen said. “Beyond football, his mentoring is something I will continue to seek as I move forward with my life.”

In his time at BVU, Anderson earned the honor of Conference Coach of the Year in 2008. In 2014, he led a team that had the toughest strength of schedule in NCAA Division III. During his tenure as head coach, his athletes set over 20 offensive school records. He has coached a total of 54 all-conference selection players and 61 academic all-conference athletes.

Upon his departure, the team’s four captains had nothing but praise for their head coach.

“One of the things that made Coach Jay so special was his passion and love for the game. He was always smiling at practice like there was no place he would rather be,” junior linebacker Brady Illg said.

“He was one of the main reasons I came to BVU because he is a nice guy and cares about his players. Some team is going to be getting a great person and great coach,” senior defensive back Justin Kahl said.

“Through my four years with BVU, Coach Jay has always been there through anything, and was never afraid to reach out to players. He taught us more than just football, but also how to be better men. He will be heavily missed at BVU,” senior offensive lineman Tanner Heckt said.

“To see a coach that has been here for so long, and that has been here coaching me the last four years, go is heartbreaking. I will miss how enthusiastic he got at practices and games because he believed in us as a team through thick and thin,” senior offensive lineman Michael Davidson said.

First year Head Athletic Director, Jack Denholm, stated that the job posting for the position has been posted on the NCAA news website, and the search has begun in order to fill that position.

Photo by: Emily Kenny