Annual recognition dinner honors students

Sloane Morrow | Staff Writer

On Saturday, April 27, Buena Vista University (BVU) students and their parents, grandparents, or biggest support systems gathered to participate in fun activities for Family Weekend during the day, and to celebrate student achievement in Dows Grand Ballroom later that evening. The Student Recognition Dinner, which is held each spring, symbolizes BVU’s pride for student achievements and honors students for their leadership and academic excellence.

[nivoslider id=”11451″]

The event began with a welcome from President Fred Moore and invocation from Director of Spiritual Life Ken Meisner, who got everyone in the room to sing “Happy Birthday” to Moore. Laughter and happiness followed after the song and into the dinner that followed.

Dinner was served and students were able to enjoy time with their loved ones until the recognition ceremonies went under way with a commentary titled “You’re on Top of the World… What Now?” which was done by Associate Professor of Communication Studies Jill Rhea. In her commentary, Rhea gave three pieces of advice to give to the entire audience, which she thought had been the most helpful in her own life. The first piece of advice for students and their guests was to remember who they personally and individually stand for, followed by advice on accepting failure.

“It’s okay to fall down. It’s okay to fail,” Rhea said.

She then went on to her third point, which was to enjoy the journey.

“You must appreciate where you are right now,” Rhea said.

Rhea’s commentary was followed by recognition for academic excellence within in each class. Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of Faculty David Evans read the names of on campus students who hold a grade point average of 3.75 and above. Once these students were recognized, students from the Graduate and Professional Studies from all over the state were recognized for being in the top 10% of their class in their specific location. Students who serve as a president for one of the 50 organizations here on campus were recognized next for the leadership roles.

The recognition continued as students were recognized for the Alpha Chi National Honors Society, the Who’s Who award, the Honors Program, Global Fellows, Student Marshals, Internships, Research and Travel Opportunities, and the Clifford A. Rae Academic Achievement Award. Students who are members of Student Senate were recognized next for their commitment to the school when it comes to institutional policy, student concerns, and student organizations.

Award ceremonies continued as students were awarded grants and different scholarships for their outstanding academic and leadership roles within their time here at BVU. These awards ranged from service awards to research awards.

Next, awards for the senior of the year within each major was announced and presented. This was followed by Parents of the Year Award and Leader of the Year Award. Next, Senior of the Year nominees and runner ups were announced and recognized.

The Senior of the Year Award is presented each year by BVU Alumni Association. The award recognizes an academically talented senior man and woman who have demonstrated leadership and service within their time on campus. This year, the Senior of the Year Awards were presented to Seth Lindokken and Serene Geisinger.

The event was filled with immense appreciation, support, and love as parents and other support systems cheered on and applauded for their students’ successes.

“It was very well organized. I thought it was a great way to show our parents how much we have accomplished as students, both academically and socially,” first year Student Senate member Chase Werden said.

For students, the dinner symbolized both new beginnings and bittersweet endings for those about to graduate next month.

“It’s great to see how many students at BVU are invested in their studies and life on campus. As a senior, I love seeing the happy faces of some of the younger students recognized for their outstanding efforts. Their pride in their work will further enhance the BV community and give them motivation to continue working hard for the rest of their time here,” senior Whitney Nelson said.

Photos by David Ekstrom