Departments combine to form Office of Multicultural Engagement

Kait Christensen | New Co-Editor

Next fall, Buena Vista University (BVU) will be adjusting to some changes made in the multicultural programs on campus. In the past, there have been two offices: Office of Intercultural Programs and the Office of International Student Services. These departments will now converge into the Office of Multicultural Engagement.

Current Director of International Student Services Carol Williams will fill the position of Director of the Office of Multicultural Engagement (OME). Williams believes that the merging of the Intercultural Programs and International Student Services will be beneficial for students.

“As these two departments have very similar missions to provide support and opportunities for our students, it makes sense for a school our size to combine programs,” Williams said. “This decision was not made quickly. We’ve spent considerable time reviewing best practices at similar institutions.”

The decision to look further into these programs came once the position for Director of Intercultural Programs was left vacant.

“The opportunity to evaluate the structure that was in place came about when the previous Director for Intercultural Programs left. Dr. Ashley Farmer-Hanson served as the Interim Director this year in addition to her other duties and did a great job. That provided us with the opportunity to review what we were doing and our structure while also looking at other models within higher education,” Vice President of Student Affairs Meg McKeon said.

McKeon also mentioned how important it was to not separate the students, but rather bring them together. McKeon said that the changes will help the BVU community grow together to celebrate the diversity the campus is proud of.

“The changes are being made in order to bring the BVU community together in order to share, support and celebrate our diversity. It is not uncommon to have an office of multicultural programs to serve as the umbrella for other services to diverse student groups,” McKeon said.

Williams stated that the student organizations will not be affected, other than a name change for the Students of Diverse Populations (SDP) to Multicultural Organizations for Students Actively Inspiring Community (MOSAIC).

Both Williams and McKeon stressed the interest of the students at BVU as an important aspect of the decision.

“The student organizations will continue. The new structure gives them the added benefit of a coordinated administrative structure within which they can thrive. I hope that the student organizations will find it easier to work together and to provide opportunities for the BVU community to participate in their events,” McKeon said.

Williams has sat down with multiple students in order to get feedback about the new idea.

“The feedback I have received has all been positive. I have met with students individually and in groups, and have enjoyed hearing their visions and ideas for the future of Multicultural Engagement,” Williams said.

“I believe this change provides us with an opportunity to revisit and redefine our goals for this office. Working with our student leaders, I am excited and encouraged by their willingness to contribute new ideas, provide feedback related to their needs, and contribute their vision for our future,” Williams said.

Senior Sheldon Paramore also agrees that this will be a great course of action.

“I think this is a good opportunity for diversity on campus…I believe with integrating different aspects of both offices it will create a stronger presence within our campus community. I think Carol will make an awesome leader for the new office,” Paramore said.

While some students believe this will be a great transition, others believe there will be more work to me done.

“The combination is good because it allows us to have both positions on campus, but logically it would have been better to have two different people. Having multicultural and international directors should be a priority to educate BVU students about the world around us,” junior Kevin Coriolan said.

Photo by Tyson Domingo