Explained: Organizations receive funding through allocations

Explained%3A+Organizations+receive+funding+through+allocations+

Alexis Williams | Social Media Editor

The Student Senate allocations process for recognized campus organizations has begun, and details are now available to students and organizations interested in requesting funds for the 2014-2015 school year.

Each year Student Senate is responsible for the distribution of funds to university organizations. Any recognized campus organization is eligible to apply, unless otherwise stipulated in the organization’s constitution. Although all groups are eligible to apply, submitting an application does not guarantee funding.

Each organization is required to submit a written proposal and to present in front of the Finance/Financial Aid Committee of Student Senate. It is suggested that the President and Treasurer of each organization are present when representing the organization. These individuals should also be knowledgeable of the entire budget of the organization, past and future. Any organization that does not show up for their presentation time will not be considered for funding.

Allocation hearings will be held Monday, April 14th through Wednesday, April 16th in the forum. The allocations request form has been available to student organizations since March 13th, 2014.

Student Senate’s Finance/Financial Aid Committee requests that all applications are thoroughly thought through and accurately completed. Each application must also include a list of proposed activities for the following year that may require funding. It is typical that the requests from organizations exceed the amount Senate has available so the committee encourages applications to be as concise and accurate as possible and to sufficiently justify any increases in budget.

Another aspect to remember when requesting funds is the carryover balance of an organization. Each organization’s balance at the end of the year will be carried over to the upcoming academic year which is also considered when allocating funds to organizations.

The general allocations budget for all recognized campus organizations is due at 5:00pm on Thursday, April 10th via email to Aaron Burns in order to be considered for funding. All organizations will be notified of their funding status by Monday, April 28th.

Graphic by Justice Gage