Van Zuiden first to experience partnership between BVU and HEG

Chelsey Goetz | Staff Writer

Senior business student, Kirsten Van Zuiden left last week for the trip of a lifetime to study international business in the heart of Europe, Geneva, Switzerland, due to the new recent agreement between the Buena Vista University (BVU) School of Business and Geneva School of Business Administration (HEG).

“I took this opportunity because it was way too good to pass up,” Van Zuiden said.

Almost one year ago, Hokusei Gakuen University celebrated their 50th anniversary, and with BVU’s partnership with this Japanese university, Associate Dean of Faculty Dr. Peter Steinfield represented BVU overseas. While in Japan, Steinfield met a representative from HEG where they expressed a possible interest in collaborating with our school of business. Dean of the School of Business Dr. Ashok Subramanian followed up with HEG in their interest in a partnership after Steinfield’s return. After a year’s worth of videoconferences, emails, and even a visit to HEG, the agreement was settled.

In this partnership, each school will send two students a year on average where one student can stay for 1-2 semesters. They will do a full coursework load and pay regular tuition through their own university.

“Iowa and Geneva represent two ends of a business value change. Geneva is a huge service economy…Iowa on the other hand is a produce economy such as producing corn and beans. So we represent to ends of the spectrum and are very complimentary from a business point of view,” Subramanian said.

This opportunity is also the essence of international business. Geneva, according to Subramanian, is one of the top international cities in the world with 40 percent of the population coming from different countries.

“Other universities try to teach international business in a domestic setting. I don’t believe it is possible to learn about international business sitting in Storm Lake, Iowa. International business by definition means you have to be overseas,” Subramanian said.

Students will be immersed in an international environment surrounded in the culture academically, socially, and physically. They will get to see a new international market and experience international business every day.

“I don’t think it’s possible to come back unchanged,” Subramanian said.

Van Zuiden is currently going through orientation at HEG where she learns French in the morning and explores the city in the afternoon.

“I’m very lucky to be able to make connections for BVU so many students can enjoy this experience in the future. Switzerland is an extremely beautiful country to explore, and it is also very centrally located in Europe which makes it easy to travel,” Van Zuiden said.

In order to participate in this program, students need above a certain grade point average, be emotionally and academically mature, and have an interest in international business.

In the future, Subramanian would like to continue to grow the international program.

“I have a vision of a network of similar partners. I would like to have them situated in different geographic markets. I’d like to have one in the United Kingdom, Asia, and one in South America. International markets are very different around the world. It would give our students the ability to specialize in international business in a specific part of the world.”

If you would like read more about Van Zuiden’s adventures in Switzerland this fall semester, check out her blog!

Graphic by Kyle Shade