Student M.O.V.E. creates volunteering challenge for Buenafication Day

Student+M.O.V.E.+creates+volunteering+challenge+for+Buenafication+Day+

Kiley Wellendorf | News Co-Editor

Buenafication Day is a day brought on by the Buena Vista University (BVU) campus where classes are cancelled in order to promote campus-wide volunteerism throughout the day. Sports teams, organizations, and individual students embark in different forms of volunteerism all around campus as well as the Storm Lake community. In preparation for Buenafication Day in the spring of 2015, Student M.O.V.E. has introduced a program that encourages student involvement prior to Buena Vista University’s day of voluntarism.

Student M.O.V.E., a group dedicated to volunteerism around campus, has created the 10 Hour Helping Hands Challenge for students to invest their time in before Buenafication Day.

“I originally based the idea for this challenge from the challenge I was part of during my freshman year. I wanted it to be a little bit different, though, in terms of what it would like and how it work,” Student M.O.V.E. member Sloane Morrow said.

This challenge encourages students to participate in at least 10 hours of community service before Buenafication Day and mark their time by registering for Givepulse. Givepulse is a tool that Student M.O.V.E. uses in order to mark volunteering progress, and this application also provides volunteer opportunities to students interested. Givepulse is essentially the application that students participating in this challenge will use to mark their efforts.

All students are welcome to take part in this challenge and will have a timeframe that lasts now until Buenafication Day to complete the 10 hours of service. According to Morrow, a common place for volunteering around campus is the Bridge of Storm Lake as well as the Storm Lake school district. If students are interested in partaking in this challenge, please click the link to sign up for this opportunity.

“My hope for this challenge is that it will get students, who might not yet be involved, involved in service and will challenge those already involved to go above and beyond. I would like this challenge to bring campus together to show the difference that we can all make when work together but also individually to make the world a better place,” Morrow said.

Graphic by Justice Gage