Sindelar named January ‘Beaver of the Month’

Samantha Hirschman | News Co-Editor

“Beavers Are” is a list of personal values or traits that are in conjunction with the Beaver’s Creed. Along with the “Beavers Are” values, Buena Vista University’s (BVU) Student Senate has decided to implement a recognition award called Beaver of the Month. Students, staff, and faculty may nominate a student based on what value is dedicated to that month.

January’s Beaver of the Month is Alec Sindelar. Sindelar has been chosen because he is “visionary.” Senate had received a nomination for Sindelar that included the following information:

“Alec has done significant work to improve the Residence Life of BVU by working on fundamental policies such as the alcohol policy, and he has worked to promote this school to incoming students through introducing high school students to the school of business.”

The nominator explained in the following information that Sindelar would like to increase the number of incoming freshmen for the School of Business. Sindelar wants to be more open and inviting to prospective high school students.

“His idea was to better market the School of Business and help ease some of the reservations incoming students have about college. They invite high school business classes to come and spend a day talking with students and attending college courses. The leaders also let them ask questions about financial, athletic, and residence life topics. It has been demonstrated to be a great event for the students, but it also allows the school of business to create long term connections with high schools. The group has seen many of the same high schools coming back for the second year which helps get BVU’s name out to those schools. Last year was the pilot year, and two schools came. This year, they have six to eight coming, and by next year, the goal is to have six a semester.”

February’s nominations are “empathetic”. Any student can be nominated except for members of Student Senate. Nominations will be taken here: http://goo.gl/forms/FZA3W9Rm9F. Once nominations close, Senate’s Policy Advisory Committee (PAC) will narrow it down to three students. All of Senate will therefore decide who will be the Beaver of the Month.

At the end of the year, there will be nominations for the Beaver of the Year. These nominations can only be by faculty and staff. The Beaver of the Year will be recognized at the Student Recognition Dinner.