BVU offers computer training classes for faculty and staff members, students welcome

Chad Pribyl | Assistant News Co-Editor

Buena Vista University’s (BVU) Information Services will soon be offering weekly computer training sessions for faculty and staff members, according to Director of Infrastructure of Operations Scott Wunschel.

The purpose of these classes is to assist faculty and staff with tech usage. Technology is constantly developing and has an increasing impact on the professional world every day.

Students are welcome to attend events that are relevant to them, but the classes were created to help faculty and staff with technology usage, according to Wunschel.

“They (classes) are mainly geared towards faculty and staff, but students are welcome to attend the sessions that may appeal to them. The topics are usually derived from common questions that we hear, but we’ve also used the sessions to introduce new technology that we’ve acquired,” Wunschel said.

Students can also learn some valuable technical computer skills if they wish to attend this training events. Technology at BVU is valuable for the success of the university.

The classes will be taught by a variety of professionals, depending on the content of the class that given day.

“The person presenting the training varies based on the content that is being presented, but is typically a member of the Information Services department,” Wunschel said.

Teaching Learning and Technology Center (TLTC) and Information Services have been providing trainings similar to this for a few years now and have proven helpful to classes in the past, according to Wunschel.

Upcoming class topics will consist of computer and internet security, Outlook calendaring, and Office 365 collaboration.

“The new things right now are related to Jenzabar, Beavernet and Office 365,” Wunschel said. “The easiest way to see an updated list of sessions and their scheduled time is to go to http://bvu.edu/events, click on the Search link, and select Training under Category.”

The next available training is Wednesday October 7, at 2 p.m. for passwords and backup security.

Photo by Taylor Staab